Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was it a std crank or a cut crank.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ctuck0659
So I get that sending some oil through the bypass un-cooled will raise the overall temp of the oil as measured by the thermostats located at then end of the first remote oil line, but the highest temp was never in excess of 260 deg, usually closer to 220 (except for 3 or 4 times for short periods before I changed the coolers). That means oil temp was not an issue and I still say that recycling unfiltered oil through a new engine for 90 hrs will not destroy a set of main bearings. I'm well aware that marine engines are different animals than car engines, but as a reality check: 90 hrs X 50mph = 4500 miles.
My point has nothing to do with oil temp, but that your oil was unfiltered, which is worse.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if this engine went 90 hours i doubt the bypass valve is the cause.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
My point is that cheap and small filters collapse inside shutting off oil flow and go into bypass mode and then you die.
No argument. But in this case neither filter are in the "cheap' category and even if they were, I believe that it would take something on the order of at least a couple hundred hours of completely unfiltered and unchanged oil to trash the bearings. In this case even assuming the bypass valves opened, the the oil was at least partially filtered and was changed very frequently. These reply's have given me a few ideas to explore, which I appreciate, but I still don't think I know what caused this. I don't expect that the answer will be solved by discussing it with a limited amount of info and no photos but your suggestions at least give me ideas to think about. Thanks-
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

When the oil was running hot did the engines ever lose oil pressure? If it is only the #1 brg it could indicate low oil pressure. just a guess!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both were factory new Scat cranks.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Engine shop by me will do a motor come back blown up he asks for the oil filter and it's collapsed in a few hundred miles.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
When the oil was running hot did the engines ever lose oil pressure? If it is only the #1 brg it could indicate low oil pressure. just a guess!
i have seen a few big blocks that suffered a bearing spin from loss of oil pressure,the ones the farthest from the pump looked the worst.also took one apart that totally smoked the mains but never spun one.when the bearing trash flows through the engine the party is over.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ctuck0659
No argument. But in this case neither filter are in the "cheap' category and even if they were, I believe that it would take something on the order of at least a couple hundred hours of completely unfiltered and unchanged oil to trash the bearings. In this case even assuming the bypass valves opened, the the oil was at least partially filtered and was changed very frequently. These reply's have given me a few ideas to explore, which I appreciate, but I still don't think I know what caused this. I don't expect that the answer will be solved by discussing it with a limited amount of info and no photos but your suggestions at least give me ideas to think about. Thanks-
unchanged unfiltered oil lasting 200 plus hours in a performance endurance marine engine,i don,t think so.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 PM
Registered

i overly rich condition can wipe out bearings in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.