525 Repair Costs?? >

525 Repair Costs??

Notices

525 Repair Costs??

Old 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 Repair Costs??

For a 2007 525 package, with slightly over 200 hours, what's the cost to change the springs, retainers, locks and seals? In an earlier post, Eddie suggested these things if motors are close to 200 hours.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Registered

Default 525 Repair Costs??

For a 2007 525 package, with slightly over 200 hours, what's the cost to change the springs, retainers, locks and seals? In an earlier post, Eddie suggested these things if motors are close to 200 hours.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Unless the engines have had the crap run out of them you should be good closer to 400 hours. That's when I did mine. I'll have to dig up the invoice but it wasn't that high.

2007 vintage is what mine is and they have all the good upgrades.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Your right on track, do springs to help avoid valve train failure. I did complete top ends and lifters at 300 hrs on our last boat, bought the boat with 265 on it and they had never been opened up, The spring change is nominal and excellent preventative maintenance. While your at it take the headers off send them to CMI for test and re-polish, very inexpensive, or test them yourself.

Thirdchildhood had good luck with his but I would never push them that far. Eddie is right on he has seen many of these engines in his shop and works on them everyday, his advice come from years of experience.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 01-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same set up, 2007 525efis, 200 hrs seem very young for a proven crate motor. I called Mercury Racing sometime back, and while they really cant give advise outside of the printed manual, he did share that Mercury built over 10,0000 of the 525s, with very little warranty work traced back to a mechanical design error/issue. He went on to say that he has customers with 525 package with over 800 hours, never opened, no issues. That said, like moset anything, it is how you treat it or how it has been treated. RPM history largely under 3000, should last long time. Majority of RPM history north of 4000 and 5000, probably going to need work done earlier.

I am no mechanic, not near what the Eddies and BUP's of this forum are, but that is just what I have been told and experience.

If I could ANY advise on the 525, change the oil every 25hrs just as the book says. I am VERY easy on mine, and was surprised how dark the oil was after 25hrs of use.

Your call, but my .02.

Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it really depends who does it and what is replaced.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

To pull it out, tear down the top end, rebuild the heads with all new parts, surface heads, valve job, tap heads, detail heads to remove any casting flash, etc., lap valves, assemble heads, install with new ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets, reassemble top end, install engine and drive and test run boat runs around 3K
Eddie
Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
To pull it out, tear down the top end, rebuild the heads with all new parts, surface heads, valve job, tap heads, detail heads to remove any casting flash, etc., lap valves, assemble heads, install with new ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets, reassemble top end, install engine and drive and test run boat runs around 3K
Eddie
Eddie, do you replace all the valves at that price?? What about lifters? Rocker arms?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Registered

Eddie, thanks! At 200 hours, do I need to do all that you mention above now? Or just springs, retainers, etc? Am an engine novice so forgive me if Im not getti g concepts right away. Many thanks!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieD
Eddie, thanks! At 200 hours, do I need to do all that you mention above now? Or just springs, retainers, etc? Am an engine novice so forgive me if Im not getti g concepts right away. Many thanks!
It depends on the engines.Mercury didn't go by years per se. However, about 2007 they made some changes. Now, a 2007 boat could easily have 2006 engines. If they are 2006 engines, then the heads need to be pulled.They have composite head gaskets with GM head bolts. The fire ring separates from the rest of the gasket and starts to move around. It will eat into the head between the cylinders. Eventually, they will leak between the cylinders and torch the heads, digging a trough right there. Seen it happen more times then I can count. If they are the newer engines, you can get away without pulling the heads. I won't do it though.

Pwraddr, there is no reason to change the lifters at that point. The rockers are a case by case basis. If they show wear, we change them. They are a 50/50 deal. It really depends on how well, or not, the springs held up. That's what seems to beat up the rockers. The valves are another case by case item. Some get hammered pretty good if the springs are really weak. In that case, we change them.

There are a few other items that I didn't list out that we change. We replace the exhaust gaskets with MLS SS exhaust gaskets. They aren't cheap....but they last forever. The Mercury gasket are a one time use and cost almost $60 a set. The MLS ones are about 80 but last forever. We also replace the tailpipe gaskets, oil and filter, etc.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.