Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Scorpion rockers >

Scorpion rockers

Notices

Scorpion rockers

Old 01-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

My question also joe is it workmanship/craftsmanship or maybe improper application? Maybe something in the cam spec causing more of an impact or hard ramp or quick drop off?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
My question also joe is it workmanship/craftsmanship or maybe improper application? Maybe something in the cam spec causing more of an impact or hard ramp or quick drop off?
Certainly could be any one of those issues.

I don't know exactly what caused my crane rocker to split the trunnion in half. Being that it was old as hell, I doubt it was a "craftsmanship" issue. Either fatigued, or something else.

Not being an engineer, I can only speculate. When I see that companies like Crower, and comp, have huge trunnions in their steel rockers. Crane came out with the larger trunnions in their "wide body" lifters. I assume, that was a case where, they either saw a need to do so, as in applications where guys where running the wide bodys, or steel rockers, they also were running some good spring pressures.

We have come a long way , from the days of flat tappet 120/310 spring pressures, and 400hp engines. Today, we are seeing 500+ lbs of spring pressures, and much more horsepower. Think of how much more cylinder pressure there is to open the exhaust valve against when you're running a blown 454 making 800hp, vs a NA one making 400hp. Thats more stress on the cam, the lifter, the rocker, etc.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Mike Tkach, was that rocker that broke, on the exhaust ? Did it break the fulcrum, or the rocker body?

I know that motor had to be making some good steam being a 565 with a procharger
Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it was an intake,kind of strange.the body broke on the bottom near the trunion.that caused the pushrod to slightly bend.a new rocker&pushrod and he was running the crap out of it again.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

All good info. I decided to go ahead and measure. The shaft for the trunion is .55 and center on center is 1.6.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

I think I mentioned earlier I've always used crane golds and never had any issues. I never did ask edeavour32 where his broke a while back. If I didn't already have crane golds I would most like get the comps. Then again until heads are strapped on and pushrods are in place who's to say what I will end up with.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Registered

I will say, i did like the the finish on the scorpions better than the cranes
Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered

joe,my guess is your crane gold broke due to it,s age,no rocker arm will last for ever.i think the scorpian that broke on the pro charged 565 is the first and more will break.we are asking a lot from them.i see a steel body arm in this engines future.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Registered

My thoughts as well Mike T
Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Nothing, I've formed my opinion a long time ago but like many am waiting to post or not going to post for some reason.......

If you reread my post though I'm referring to his specific build, not just scorpion rockers in general.

A. Interesting tech discussion during these slow times
B. Showing genuine interest in a fellow members projects.
C. Without knowing his build specs how can we properly recommend a product
you stated that you formed your opinion a long time ago on the scorpion rocker arm.would you please tell us what made your mind up on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.