Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does Silent Choice contribute to reversion? >

Does Silent Choice contribute to reversion?

Notices

Does Silent Choice contribute to reversion?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Silent Choice contribute to reversion?

Does Silent choice or switchable thru prop exhaust make a difference with potential reversion with a 500 EFI spec engine? Aluminum Gil's and Stainless risers.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Conventional wisdom would say yes, there is more potential for reversion with silent choice, but Merc has certainly approved factory setups with silent choice and that would lead us to believe its more a function of dry riser length, contingent on cam overlap of course. I would say as long as you are running the factory longer CMI tails w/ silent choice you should be fine unless you boat where there are some unusually long idle times. No way should you use the std Corsa type diverters with the overlap of the 500EFI cam
Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tryed Gills with no silent choice and dry to the tip on my old boat with 500 efis and got reversion real bad. Ended up buying CMIs and no more problems.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Conventional wisdom would say yes, there is more potential for reversion with silent choice, but Merc has certainly approved factory setups with silent choice and that would lead us to believe its more a function of dry riser length, contingent on cam overlap of course. I would say as long as you are running the factory longer CMI tails w/ silent choice you should be fine unless you boat where there are some unusually long idle times. No way should you use the std Corsa type diverters with the overlap of the 500EFI cam
i am pretty sure that mercury marine put out a bulletin telling boat builders NOT to send the exhaust through the out drive on the hp 500&hp500 efi engines,but a lot of them did it anyway.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have no personal experience with them but have read plenty of people's engine sucking water when a flap malfunctions or sticks.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

absolutly
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know they put Gils on 500efi, could you not put the switchable CMI's on the tails
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on a 99 HP 500, and haven't had issues. Only use at idle around docks late at night mostly. No signs of reversion (hope I don't jinx myself). Mine has the tall late style risers on Gil's and are Corsa diverters with mufflers in tips from the factory. Which I'm told are all not good things , but at 155 hrs and it seems to be fine even after pulling the exhaust. It has turbulators installed as well.