Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
extension box on this typ of hull and transom? >

extension box on this typ of hull and transom?

Notices

extension box on this typ of hull and transom?

Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACrooks69
Doing an extension box vs a shorty are not the same thing. I wouldn't worry about a duo prop behind that motor. Unless you've had it dyno'd, my guess it that motor probably is right where you think it is and a bravo 3 or VP should take that all day. I ran my 480hp 383 through a stock B3 without issue for a couple of years until I swapped it for a B1. My same motor with a smaller cam made 430hp and I ran that through an Alpha SS for a couple years until I bought my new boat. The guy who bought it threw 500 at it and it predictably broke in short order. Of course I have no idea how he drove it, but he took out the vertical shaft, not the gears. Alphas are pretty durable if you ask me.
what spec of cam you use?
did you go faster with b1,or more playground with b1?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Couldn't see a pic ?

As mentioned, Search/wait for an Alpha SS. Everyone that has installed one has gained 5-7+mph in small single engine'd boats w/small blocks.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed an ALPHA SS on my Glastron Carlson CVX18 and gained 10 mph but that huge gain was partially because the cavitation plate above the prop was BELOW the pad on the bottom of the hull " at the front of the drive".
So when I trimmed it up the cav plate would actually pull the back of the boat down.
They installed the engine so low because the exhaust elbows hit the underside of the engine cover.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by css19
what spec of cam you use?
did you go faster with b1,or more playground with b1?
With that setup the boat went 1-2 mph faster with the b1. But the B3 still went 68 and did everything else better except top end. I really wanted that boat to go 70 Consistently.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Carlson put the vpdp behind a big block in the 24css.
When ski-pro did custom builds they put alot of big power in front of the duoprop for the barefoot crowd. Many had b&m blowers and 950cfm holley commander mpi systems that were pulling barefooters and skiiers up from a dead stop at wot multple times a day. Those drives can take some punishment.