Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Will the Canton 90 Degree oil filter block adapter support both filter & cooler? >

Will the Canton 90 Degree oil filter block adapter support both filter & cooler?

Notices

Will the Canton 90 Degree oil filter block adapter support both filter & cooler?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will the Canton 90 Degree oil filter block adapter support both filter & cooler?

I'm replacing the oil lines, cooler, and adding an inline 215 degree stat on Saturday...I bought the Canton 22-592 90 degree remote filter adapter to get a better hose angle (I think) than the stock Merc adapter...I'm just not sure that it will be any better than stock...other than coming off with straight 1/2"NPT to 10AN fittings. I'm using Russell 10an ProClassic II hose & Russell full flow swivel capable fittings for ease of plumbing. Found a NOS Merc cooler for only $260. The motor is going back to a stock-ish 502HO maybe 450hp. Only part I'm re-using is the remote filter pad which appears to flow better than the block adapter choices.

Was this Canton block adapter intended for a car remote filter only (without the cooler obviously). Will it hurt me? Will it be the weak link? Has anybody used it...Didn't feel the need to go 12an just needed the piece of mind that the 25 year old lines & cooler would not come back to haunt me...Replacement with an upgrade. Thanks.

Pics:

Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The adapter should be fine. I'd be more worried about the -10 lines. I prefer -12 lines for oil plumbing, I've seen oil pressure increases going from -10 to -12. A -10 fitting has a .480 thru hole orifice. A -12, has a .610. Might not sound like alot, but it kinda is.

Using "10" as the setting for pressure line, in this calculator, a pipe diameter of .480, will flow 5.64 gallons per minute. A pipe diameter of .610, will flow 9.1 gallons per minute. Thats nearly 40% more flow capacity.

http://www.1728.org/flowrate.htm