Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ditch MerCathode for Anode Protection? >

Ditch MerCathode for Anode Protection?

Notices

Ditch MerCathode for Anode Protection?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Ditch MerCathode for Anode Protection?

I found two black plastic masses (for lack of a better term) bolted to the bottom of my gimbals where anodes can be bolted (IE under the hydraulic ram manifold). I was then told they are the cathodes for the MerCathode system and not to remove them, but I'm having other thoughts.

I have a pair (one on each engine) MerCathode (Black box) that are circa 1996. I've read multiple posts regarding the procedure for testing and how when tested they typically aren't putting out spec. current to fully protect against corrosion anyway. I've seen owners run two of them in parallel (on each engine) to gain adequate protection. I also read of testing the system one day and three days later they are dead.

For a boat not stored in the water, I would maybe have it in 72 hrs. at once if I wet slip it to stay on overnight when away from home, would it be more practical to remove the MerCathode's on the bottom of each gimbal and go with anode protection? I figure the stagnant anode protection is at least known to be "working" consistently without the worries associated with keeping the MerCathodes, which for all I know can be dead already.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated !
Keith
Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If the mercathode system actually works, I'd hate to see how bad corrosion can get without it lol.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
If the mercathode system actually works, I'd hate to see how bad corrosion can get without it lol.
what if it's a trailer queen, and always washed rinsed, flushed
or closer to the truth, how hard is it to hook up correctly ?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Do you ever have the boat in the water, slipped, overnight, etc., WITH the shorepower attached? This is when the Mercathode is most important.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QUXB2W...=I5VMKYMKM4AFX

This will help....
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do you ever have the boat in the water, slipped, overnight, etc., WITH the shorepower attached? This is when the Mercathode is most important.
Agree, this is the point for the Mercathode
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And Merc has testing procedure's to make sure it is working correctly as it was intended for. Also keep Anodes in check and replacing with new beforehand as well.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plug into shore power I would consider adding a galvanic isolator. Even though I rack store my boat I added one to mine for those long weekends I am plugged in at marinas. http://www.pkys.com/FAQ/galvanic.htm
Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I will, maybe a handful of times a year.

Originally Posted by BUP
And Merc has testing procedure's to make sure it is working correctly as it was intended for. Also keep Anodes in check and replacing with new beforehand as well.
Yes I have read it, and it requires a $125 lead for my multi tester and the boat to sit in stagnant water for 8 hrs. Before testing. Then I may find I need to add another MerCathode box to the currently installed units in order to have proper protection which changes from slip to slip anyway. Or that mine are already kaput altogether being they're 20 yrs. old.

So what I'm trying to determine is, will replacing the MerCathodes with anodes provide the same protection with less headaches and at much less cost? After all new gamble anodes are ~$45/pr.

Originally Posted by johnny b good
If you plug into shore power I would consider adding a galvanic isolator. Even though I rack store my boat I added one to mine for those long weekends I am plugged in at marinas. http://www.pkys.com/FAQ/galvanic.htm
That's the next goodie on the horizon!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

So what I'm trying to determine is, will replacing the MerCathodes with anodes provide the same protection with less headaches and at much less cost? After all new gamble anodes are ~$45/pr.
Anodes will assist in giving more material to sacrifice, but does not do the same job as the mercathode.

I have one of the Merc probes and its a piece of wire that has been platinum coated around a small nylon stick. You could probably get close if you silver plated a 18AWG wire, but not exact due to differences in properties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.