Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Running Hard: RPM + Distance >

Running Hard: RPM + Distance

Notices

Running Hard: RPM + Distance

Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We typically do 4 West Michigan Offshore Runs a Year - typically 80 miles or less, all on Lake Michigan... and then the Traverse City Fun Run and Omena Run. The rest of the season we're more family oriented and mostly running 3500-4500 with occasional WOT passes for a minute or so (not with our young kids).

In my 32 with custom built N/A engines, if the conditions allow, I tend to average 4000-4500 rpm. If it's rough, I will deal with the conditions as appropriate for the best ride quality for passengers. Fortunately, after switching to Arnesons from XZ's on boxes and SCX's, using tabs is no longer necessary besides just minor tweaks. This made a big difference at the pump. The bow still carries well, but the boat acts more naturally balanced and causes me to save a lot of fuel in midrange. I also don't feel the need to run the engines nearly as hard trying to overcome dragging tabs.

I switched to Holley EFI (full multiport with coil packs) in 2013 and have never looked back. I don't have exact fuel consumption numbers, but I do know that I do almost all my running in Lake Michigan and don't mind some slop, I am paying significantly less fuel year over year than when I had carbs. I like being efficient, but fuel consumption isn't as important to me as washing down cylinder walls, keeping oil pristine, and keeping the soot off the transom.

If it's flat calm and I'm bored, I have run port to port over 5000 rpm, but never all the way near 6000. I'll get into the throttle, but even though everything in my engines and oil cooling is theoretically up to the task of running for long periods wide open - I believe running at 5800-6000 for an extended period would directly correlate in me having to adjust my top end/bottom end maintenance intervals. I'd like to continue my trend of running my engines for 9-10 years (@~50 hours/yr), then do top ends... and choose what needs to be done on the bottoms. My engines are now 12 years old... so far so good.

Last edited by Tibbstoy2; 02-17-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn yall run your boat a lot harder than I run mine. I usually just cruise around in the sub 4k rpm range. Now I'm not saying I don't ever open mine out and let her eat, but I don't spend hours above 4k. I know plenty of guys that run them laid flat out all the time, and their boats are usually in a constant state of repair. No reason to run around at mach speed. I know how fast my boat is, and don't have to prove that every time we go out.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Sorry my comment was so long, but unfortunately I have been "called out" a couple times to explain how hard I run, and how large my fuel tanks are to support running that hard for so long.

When I respond on other threads I simply am explaining that "x y z" does this or that and that is worked or did not work during MY type of RUNNING HARD. That is per tenant tech info in my book, explaining how you actually run your boat makes a big difference. My oil isnt even up to temp until I pass Power Island, about 6 miles out. If all I did was go anchor there, like many locals do which is fine, than my tech experience would have a different bearing in this section.

Unleashed does not have hour meters, nor FUEL GAUGES. We track the miles so we know how much fuel we have

If your getting called out for not running hard then people have no clue. This is of course the internet so "everybody" runs hard. But real life is most dont run even close to hard and if they do, its for a few minutes at best then back it down. As for me, I run hard and by hard I run 90-100% of my power every single time Im out for miles and miles. Usually 120-135mph for 15-30 minutes. Why? because its fun as hell and thats what the boat was built for. I can vouch that every time that Cig of offshorexcursion has is out its to the wood for just as long. The rougher water the better. Last year we both ran side by side with a average of 95mph in some nasty conditions for 45 miles. Both are boats were out of the water almost as much as they were in it was so rough.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

I run my boat hard until the engines blow up, which is quite frequent, like every 10 hours. Soooo, suffice to say, I really have no valuable information or banter to contribute to this thread. There ya go!

Tim is gay, and the fastest boat ever (J/K buddy, it's too easy!)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I run my boat hard until the engines blow up, which is quite frequent, like every 10 hours. Soooo, suffice to say, I really have no valuable information or banter to contribute to this thread. There ya go!

Tim is gay, and the fastest boat ever (J/K buddy, it's too easy!)
Lol dik
In may not be fast, but I run the f out of it... you know that haha
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
damn yall run your boat a lot harder than I run mine. I usually just cruise around in the sub 4k rpm range. Now I'm not saying I don't ever open mine out and let her eat, but I don't spend hours above 4k. I know plenty of guys that run them laid flat out all the time, and their boats are usually in a constant state of repair. No reason to run around at mach speed. I know how fast my boat is, and don't have to prove that every time we go out.
Kinda like the trip to Fort Pierce...
Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to run hard also.. I have run from Grand Haven to Holland wot, but that is nothing compared to what a lot of people run. After adding power to my combination I am still sorting out the weak links and have not run wot. Hoping to resolve that this summer! I generally cruise for a while and then bump it up to faster pace, what ever is comfortable in the water I am in. Until I know my combination is going to live, I don't intend to put it on the wood for extended periods. I enjoy wrenching but it does get old, the older I get!!
It is interesting as to what mind set people carry with them as they boat. Blow boaters just want to get from point A to point B and back if the wind is blowing. Offshore guys with "pinned throttle" mind set enjoy the thrill. I believe I am somewhere in between!!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Kinda like the trip to Fort Pierce...
just like it. That was a little more spirited than most times I have it out, but far from running it hard. I like my equipment to last and try to take the best care of it as possible. That way I can be super pissy when things break.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Everyone boats differently and that’s what makes it fun. Some love overnighting (we did for years and eventually bought a cruiser), some just cruise to enjoy the scenery, throw anchor and swim (I jump in no matter how cold the water!), everyone likes a good raft up party, restaurant/bar destinations, and of course there’s nothing better than some wide open throttle running!

Kristy and I enjoy running hard! When we take Unleashed out it’s usually with a group of other boats for a Poker Run or Fun run. Our favorite is to start in the back and have the challenge of driving through the slop to get to the front. That’s just our thrill, but we love it ALL as long as we are on the water with friends! Everyone’s definition of running hard is different, But that doesn’t mean anyone is right or wrong, as long as we are on the water it really doesn’t matter. So how many miles do you run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

We have run up to 240miles in a day, normally between 4500-6000RPM, 85-110mph, 90% of the time we are out. We pretty much run hard after the oil warms up until we are back to the dock. Unleashed has a pair of 78 Gallon ATL fuel Bladders, 156 Gallons total (overpriced nightmare that we installed!). She’s pretty efficient averaging 1.21-1.28mpg, which we hand calculate each time out. Kristy’s currently working on editing the video from that American Custom Marine Wednesday Fall Fun 2015, Port Huron, Lake St Clair, Put In Bay, and Back to Port Huron 240miles. 13 Boats ran (but 10 started in Lake St Clair) ranging from 97mph Ilmor 382 Fastech, 117mph 43SV outerlimits, to 150+mph Skaters all cruising 90+mph the entire way! What a Blast!

Here’s some of our main runs last summer, plus the obvious test and tune days. We normally take a couple extra laps around Power island when we go out adding 10-15 miles.

110 miles Traverse City to Charlevoix
70 miles Boyne City, Charlevoix, Bay Harbor
145 miles Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Bay Harbor
70 miles Traverse City to Northport
115 miles Sault Saint Marie Poker Run
40 miles Traverse City to Omena
75 miles Traverse City to the Tip of the Leelanu Peninsula
135 miles Traverse City, Charlevoix, Boyne City
130 miles LOTO Poker Run
50 miles Condo to LOTO Shootout, Race, Boat ramp
40 miles Traverse City to Suttons Bay
sitting here thinking you sure take a wandering course to these places then realized those are round trip mileage
ed
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
just like it. That was a little more spirited than most times I have it out, but far from running it hard. I like my equipment to last and try to take the best care of it as possible. That way I can be super pissy when things break.
Wait, that was spirited? I thought it was painfully slow at times. Well except on the way back when the pontoon decided to cut across in front of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.