Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Running Hard: RPM + Distance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/344773-running-hard-rpm-distance.html)

offshorexcursion 02-16-2017 11:41 PM

Running Hard: RPM + Distance

So what is "Running Hard"...

offshorexcursion 02-16-2017 11:42 PM

Everyone boats differently and that’s what makes it fun. Some love overnighting (we did for years and eventually bought a cruiser), some just cruise to enjoy the scenery, throw anchor and swim (I jump in no matter how cold the water!), everyone likes a good raft up party, restaurant/bar destinations, and of course there’s nothing better than some wide open throttle running!

Kristy and I enjoy running hard! When we take Unleashed out it’s usually with a group of other boats for a Poker Run or Fun run. Our favorite is to start in the back and have the challenge of driving through the slop to get to the front. That’s just our thrill, but we love it ALL as long as we are on the water with friends! Everyone’s definition of running hard is different, But that doesn’t mean anyone is right or wrong, as long as we are on the water it really doesn’t matter. So how many miles do you run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

We have run up to 240miles in a day, normally between 4500-6000RPM, 85-110mph, 90% of the time we are out. We pretty much run hard after the oil warms up until we are back to the dock. Unleashed has a pair of 78 Gallon ATL fuel Bladders, 156 Gallons total (overpriced nightmare that we installed!). She’s pretty efficient averaging 1.21-1.28mpg, which we hand calculate each time out. Kristy’s currently working on editing the video from that American Custom Marine Wednesday Fall Fun 2015, Port Huron, Lake St Clair, Put In Bay, and Back to Port Huron 240miles. 13 Boats ran (but 10 started in Lake St Clair) ranging from 97mph Ilmor 382 Fastech, 117mph 43SV outerlimits, to 150+mph Skaters all cruising 90+mph the entire way! What a Blast!

Here’s some of our main runs last summer, plus the obvious test and tune days. We normally take a couple extra laps around Power island when we go out adding 10-15 miles.

110 miles Traverse City to Charlevoix
70 miles Boyne City, Charlevoix, Bay Harbor
145 miles Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Bay Harbor
70 miles Traverse City to Northport
115 miles Sault Saint Marie Poker Run
40 miles Traverse City to Omena
75 miles Traverse City to the Tip of the Leelanu Peninsula
135 miles Traverse City, Charlevoix, Boyne City
130 miles LOTO Poker Run
50 miles Condo to LOTO Shootout, Race, Boat ramp
40 miles Traverse City to Suttons Bay

jeff32 02-17-2017 05:29 AM

How do you calculate your miles? Your gps gives you this data?

MILD THUNDER 02-17-2017 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 4529876)
How do you calculate your miles? Your gps gives you this data?

My Chartplotter does.

I've never really did an official mpg test on mine. I know that when its calm water, I get much better fuel consumption, than when its rough. I've done some trips from chicago to michigan city/new buffalo michigan area, about 70-90 miles round trip. When its calm, you can set the boat up for optimal efficiency , and get a nice cruise speed going. When its rough, the drives are usually tucked in, tabs dragging, and lots of on/off the throttle. With 4 carburetors, and 8 accelerator pumps constantly closing, and re-opening often, the accelerator pumps squirt tons of fuel in the engines, and the efficiency goes right out the window .

3pointstar 02-17-2017 07:54 AM

WOW I am jealous - all this travel

In regards to approximate miles traveled - about how many hours do you typically put on the boat (engine running) during a season. Last year we did about 50 hours - which was pretty good in my book (of course never enough) and most of that was just going relatively slow- enjoying everything.

thanks in advance

3pointstar

Full Force 02-17-2017 08:32 AM

Poker runs usually 100 Miles or so, rpm 5000+ I run the boat hard hard every where I go, I don't really keep track but just want to have fun, many guys spend the weekend at 4000 rpm or calm waters, I can assure one thing when it's rough out I am one of the few boats having a blast... most guys sit at docks...

mike tkach 02-17-2017 08:56 AM

i don,t use my fountain a lot but when i do i could care less what my gas mileage is.with whipple charged 588,s it sucks fuel like a monster.at 100 mph i am at 5100 rpm and not leaning on the sticks very much,just crusing.if i was worried about fuel consumption i would not go boating.

mike tkach 02-17-2017 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 4529859)
Everyone boats differently and that’s what makes it fun. Some love overnighting (we did for years and eventually bought a cruiser), some just cruise to enjoy the scenery, throw anchor and swim (I jump in no matter how cold the water!), everyone likes a good raft up party, restaurant/bar destinations, and of course there’s nothing better than some wide open throttle running!

Kristy and I enjoy running hard! When we take Unleashed out it’s usually with a group of other boats for a Poker Run or Fun run. Our favorite is to start in the back and have the challenge of driving through the slop to get to the front. That’s just our thrill, but we love it ALL as long as we are on the water with friends! Everyone’s definition of running hard is different, But that doesn’t mean anyone is right or wrong, as long as we are on the water it really doesn’t matter. So how many miles do you run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

We have run up to 240miles in a day, normally between 4500-6000RPM, 85-110mph, 90% of the time we are out. We pretty much run hard after the oil warms up until we are back to the dock. Unleashed has a pair of 78 Gallon ATL fuel Bladders, 156 Gallons total (overpriced nightmare that we installed!). She’s pretty efficient averaging 1.21-1.28mpg, which we hand calculate each time out. Kristy’s currently working on editing the video from that American Custom Marine Wednesday Fall Fun 2015, Port Huron, Lake St Clair, Put In Bay, and Back to Port Huron 240miles. 13 Boats ran (but 10 started in Lake St Clair) ranging from 97mph Ilmor 382 Fastech, 117mph 43SV outerlimits, to 150+mph Skaters all cruising 90+mph the entire way! What a Blast!

Here’s some of our main runs last summer, plus the obvious test and tune days. We normally take a couple extra laps around Power island when we go out adding 10-15 miles.

130 miles LOTO Poker Run

you are the most awesome boater in the world.thanks for the tech information!

Full Force 02-17-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 4529859)

130 miles LOTO Poker Run

How many of those Miles in actual rough water conditions? I wanna see that... that's where you get the trophy! Lol

offshorexcursion 02-17-2017 09:05 AM

So how many miles, or minutes, or seconds does everyone run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

Not really asking about fuel consumption, or how many hours you put on a year, but how LONG do you run HARD for? Every boat, budget, and conditions will make it different, there is no right or wrong answer, just fun discussion.