Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil temp locations...?? >

Oil temp locations...??

Notices

Oil temp locations...??

Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i still laugh when someone posts that the oil needs to be at 212 to boil the water off,water boils at 212,oil does not.so many people are confused about this myth.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i still laugh when someone posts that the oil needs to be at 212 to boil the water off,water boils at 212,oil does not.so many people are confused about this myth.
I believe a better phrasing would be the water needs to reach 212, but it will evaporate much lower as the temp difference to air is more important, just as water evaporates off of a hot bath into the cooler air well under boiling the boiling point.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Correct, for all liquids it's just that the closer the temperature is to it's boiling point the easier/faster the liquid evaporates.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
My vette has a oil temp gauge, 10qt dry sump LS3, I have yet to see the temp above 180* this spring.
If GM is fine with those temps and not worried about getting it higher to "burn off condensation" then why worry about lower temps in boats.

40* weather, after 1 hour on the highway:

GM does some strange stuff at times. Our Catty shows 12.6V on the display and only shows more then that (13 to 14.5V) right after starting.

An unknowing person might see 250 degrees and freak out. Wonder if the sensor is located right after the cooler?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of this thread a while back while changing hydraulic fluid in my tractor that was all milky. I poured some into a coffee can and put it on the stove at 250ish and waited a couple hours, still milky. Let it cool down overnight and repeated but heated it up to 300 for a couple more hours and it pretty well cleared up. I was suprised it took so long.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Should gone to 375 and thrown in some french fries...
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
GM does some strange stuff at times. Our Catty shows 12.6V on the display and only shows more then that (13 to 14.5V) right after starting.

An unknowing person might see 250 degrees and freak out. Wonder if the sensor is located right after the cooler?
Many car manufacturers lie to you with qhat the guages show. Many years ago, Chrysler owners where coming in with complaints of low oil psi, especially at idle. The response, being sick of dealing with customers complaining and not believing them that there was no issue, a year or to later on next round of new cars Chrysler upped what the guage read. Oh, the power of computers. LOL.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Default Oh jesus now my gauges are all incorrect?

Originally Posted by SB
Many car manufacturers lie to you with qhat the guages show. Many years ago, Chrysler owners where coming in with complaints of low oil psi, especially at idle. The response, being sick of dealing with customers complaining and not believing them that there was no issue, a year or to later on next round of new cars Chrysler upped what the guage read. Oh, the power of computers. LOL.
Is this something Chrysler admitted to? Did you reprogram the computer personally? Maybe they fixed the problem?

So I guess it`s a GM conspiracy that the oil temp is inaccurate .. So how does this inaccurate GM gauge work then, at ambient temps it reads same but as it heats up it reads lower ?? is that it?
Maybe the outside temp gauge is reading too high?
Maybe it`s really 80* but GM wants me to wear a sweater.

Maybe the Russians hacked my garage thermostat which also reads the same temp.

My hot oil pressure reads 25# I should probably call GM and tell em they forgot to reprogram it to read higher.

I don`t get it , your Caddy shows a lower voltage at rest then it does when the alternator is running!? Wow thats crazy , more voltage when the alternator is running??! i`d contact GM , tell em your alternator is charging your battery and making more voltage, sounds like a recall issue.

wtf people
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I put mine right here.............there's a 1/4 npt plug in it from the factory, guess Merc may use it on some other engines
Attached Thumbnails Oil temp locations...??-img_0583.jpg  
Old 04-14-2017, 05:01 PM
SB
Registered

Doh !

Well, I guess I should have been more clear. Not all gauges in all cars are lying to you. LOL.

Typically only happens when the Manufacture realizes that a bunch of owners will continually complain about something that the factory feels is totally fine.

2 examples: I worked at a Chrysler / Toyota dealer.....learned this during a new vehicle roll out service training...straight from the horses mouth. At the time, coolant temp as brought to 210*F and all the old timers where schitting themselves thinking this was messed up, even ith ust having a C thru H temp gauge. This got changed so it would read in the middle when fully hot...instead of near 3/4's. Yes, Chrysler did this thru programming also. No, we could not change the programming in the shop.

Oil psi on some cars would go down to 15 or so psi at idle. People would freak......as I mentioned....they changed this without creating more pressure.

You haven't heard about some radio's in modern cars adding to your exhaust note (inside the cabin of course) to make you think your sports car or truck sounds cooler ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.