How to Detect Valve Train Instability

Notices

How to Detect Valve Train Instability

Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
The push rod guide plates not being properly aligned, the rocker arm not being perfectly perpendicular to the valve or on aftermarket heads, the pushrods hitting the inside of the head.
OK. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

You can have your combo SpinTron tested to find problems before installing. The cost is not horrible but can add up if you need to make multiple changes and retest.

What has been changed, upgraded, rebuilt since your last build?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
OK. Thanks again.
Any time.

Here's an example of what you DON'T want to see.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails How to Detect Valve Train Instability-valve-tip.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they have those cheapy valve spring testers which hook on the valve and are kinda like a flex beam torque wrench. quickie method of checking for failing spring.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Any time.

Here's an example of what you DON'T want to see.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565414[/ATTACH]

What the.....
Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

An engine I fixed last year
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
could you somehow hook an oscilloscope to the block to see if you have an odd major harmonic or something??
Interesting thought, would need a vibration sensor with the proper bandwidth.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
There was a video link posted recently in regards to that. It's amazing how much movement there can potentially be with simply rolling the engine over. Imagine what it's doing at 6,000 rpm. Can be time consuming and often overlooked but so important. Correct length pushrods for starters and offset rockers might be needed as well as stud girdles. If money isn't a factor I personally really like the Jesel sportsman series shaft rockers.
setting the heads up properly to begin with is critical... valve springs, correct length pushrods, good rocker arms, these all play a roll, but the valve spring stack is the most commonly overlooked thing in head construction/assembly, spring surge is a component killer!!! a very wise man taught me that, and a well placed video confirmed it...
Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
setting the heads up properly to begin with is critical... valve springs, correct length pushrods, good rocker arms, these all play a roll, but the valve spring stack is the most commonly overlooked thing in head construction/assembly, spring surge is a component killer!!! a very wise man taught me that, and a well placed video confirmed it...
So, being like .250 away from coil bind, is no good ? Lol
Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
The engine is a new build still in the tuning stage. I am planning ahead for season to learn what to look for as to running clues or parts condition that indicate valve train instability before any big bang (hopefully). Previous engine I was lucky and it lasted 350 hours untill refresh. Found that exhaust valve train had insufficient spring for the heavy valve and 5800 rpm. Exhaust valve seats heavy brinneling. Lucky was that those WOT runs were a minute portion of that 350 hours. Subsequently Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro software modeling of that engine showed how bad the lofting would be and cam markings confirmed it. Current engine is designed to have no lofting running to 5600 rpm power peak. However I do not know if harmonics could still cause instability and damage so I want all the insight as to what to look for when engine is running and parts condition inspection after some running. I really don't want to get into all the details on my engine in this post. Lots of my other posts here in on all aspects of its history back to 2005. It is a NA engine, 520ci currently with custom cam and valve train I designed for max WOT power. I do not plan to improve or 'upgrade' anything unless testing shows it is needed.

The suggestion to check spring retainer lock tightness is the kind of info I am looking for.

The oscilloscope thought as well in the form of maybe a linear knock sensor mounted to the heads and recording signal to lap top as audio file for audio playback and/or for later processing through spectrum analyzer software.

What else in parts condition or running characteristics is symptomatic evidence of valve train instability?
Were these Raylar setups? I'm asking because I get the itch from time to time to do the Raylar kits on mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.