Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box? >

604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box?

Notices

604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

I'm curious how much power I'm going to leave on the table with 850 holleys vs 1050 QF. My drives certainly won't complain anyway.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

They certainly arent without issue. We had a few issues with the mode switch on them.

I dont think everyone and their mom needs a daytona ignition. But for the cost, theres no way i would consider dropping the money on a marine msd box setup, that has none of the features . Simply changing out from a standard ignition , to a "box" style igntion, isnt worth much.

Personally, i like to be able to go run the boat, pay attention to the vitals and watch the water. Then go back and view the datalog at the dock with a cold beer, and see how much boost, and rpm i was getting on that run.

The rpm spikes in the datalog when in some chop, give ya a good idea on what breaks outdrives. Youll never see it on your tachs. The datalog is taking several samples a second of data.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Put some pressure on them and see if they can do an update with a 'out of water / re-entry stabilization' feature.

Don't quote me, but I think BCK had an issue with a DS box.....that's all I've heard of.

getrdunn - Crane no longer has the Marine box with the dial selectable timing curves...Been a bunch of years....This is when Daytona Sensors came out...as they where supposedly the makers of the Crane Marine box.

What happened to E32's Crane Box's...those where pretty buillit proof over the years.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Registered

Also, if you have a wideband with an analog output signal, you can datalog afr's as well . You can also set how many trigger signals before the coil fires, as well as start retard. Not really a big deal as most marine engines arent high compression or heat soaked, but pretty neat to be able to get the engine rolling on the starter, before it fires off retarded spark during starting. Easier on starter , and batteries.

Was at a trade show a couple weeks ago. Noticed at the FAST EFI booth, they had an igntion box , that looked identical to the daytona box. However, it was not programmable.

MSD makes a programmable box too, but I dont believe it has nearly as many features.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

MT, after viewing those spikes out of the water I think you talked a bit about drive guardians. Did you actually install them or just recognized an appreciation for them?

P.S. How do you find time for digging so deep into the weeds while hauling gravel?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

SB- I had a Crane marine box fail. The Daytonas only have dyno time on them so far.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Another side note,

When you are on the dyno, and pull out 9 degrees of timing in the midrange vs locked out timing, and GAIN torque, it opens your eyes on how much timing you were giving the engine, that it didnt want , need, or like. Lots of guys dont realize they are rattling their rings just getting the boat up on plane when their timing is locked out. Or cruising at a low rpm with the tabs and drives tucked, putting an extreme load on the engine and the piston speed/mixture density is no where near calling for the plug to be fired 34 or 36 deg btdc .
I'm not to worried about timing locked out down low, boat is plowing for few seconds then your cruising at 3900 to 4200 where most people Curve is locked out 2k to 3000 anyway. Engine was good at 39 total timing without det and back downto 35 for little insurance.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion you NEVER need a MSD (may soon die) box, I have had great luck with the HP HEI units with a petronix digital rev limiter, not sure on the daytona boxes, but smitty has done a bunch of dyno testing..I am running one of their setup on a carbed LSX mustang I just built for my son, after track testing we'll see how that works, buy so far so good
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 5050
I'm not to worried about timing locked out down low, boat is plowing for few seconds then your cruising at 3900 to 4200 where most people Curve is locked out 2k to 3000 anyway. Engine was good at 39 total timing without det and back downto 35 for little insurance.
I sometimes like to be able to cruise on plane, at a slow speed. Example, nighttime at loto, theres a 30mph speed limit. To do 30mph and stay on plane, my tabs are buried, drives tucked 2500ish rpm. Decent load on the engine, with not much rpm.

When my timing was locked, i just wouldnt do that. With the DS ignitons, and a map sensor controlling timing, i have no worries when doing that anymore.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Cool boat and nice engine build! Why skimp now on ignition!? Especially when you can tune the Daytona Sensors while dynoing the second Engine and see PROOF how much better it is.

The support for Daytona Sensors is pretty apparent on this thread but you are hesitant for some reason?

What exhaust did you dyno with and will it be run in the boat?

Could you post the dyno sheet showing BSFC....They seem to have been cut off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.