Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does hail damage boat even if nothing is visible ? >

Does hail damage boat even if nothing is visible ?

Notices

Does hail damage boat even if nothing is visible ?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does hail damage boat even if nothing is visible ?

Just wondering if Hail does damage to a boat even if you cant see any hail marks - last night we had a bad hail storm, my truck, wife's car and house took a good beating, very large hail (baseball size) just want to make sure, my boat out in the same mess.

Any info is appreciated !
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

OH NO-- sorry to learn of this - I hope all of you are ok and the damage is minimal.

It would seem to me that if you had that bad of a beating on your house, car (I have some experience with hail on a roof and siding) that it would most likely affect a boat in the same way. At least I would have the insurance company have an inspection of the boat and give you some kind of assurance that while you may not see immediate damage there could have been fractures of the gel coat that will only become visible after the boat is in the water - and experienced flexing during normal use.

just my 2cents

3pointstar
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

North Dallas last night, a buddy of ours got hammered, a lot has to do with how hard the hail is to the damage it does.
Attached Thumbnails Does hail damage boat even if nothing is visible ?-hail.jpg  

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 03-27-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks guys, the hail was about the size of the picture above, my windshield got blown out and any flat surface is totally damaged, My bak flip bed cover is completely destroyed.

But all is repairable !
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Did it take out the boat's Bomar hatches or damage the windscreen? If not I'd say don't worry about it if you don't see anything obvious in the deck.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Did it take out the boat's Bomar hatches or damage the windscreen? If not I'd say don't worry about it if you don't see anything obvious in the deck.
Hatches are good, will take off the cover tonight to check windscreen - Im hoping all is good and i don't get anymore surprises !
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I would say if it looks cosmetically OK then more than likely you are fine. If the topsides take too big of hit, it will probably make a star pattern in the gel coat. Back in the day, I had a beautiful '69 Corvette that I just watched get hammered with golf ball to baseball sized hail. (it was even worse to watch because it was in the daylight!) Much to my surprise, the only damage on the whole car was some metal trim on the wiper door.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I would say if it looks cosmetically OK then more than likely you are fine. If the topsides take too big of hit, it will probably make a star pattern in the gel coat. Back in the day, I had a beautiful '69 Corvette that I just watched get hammered with golf ball to baseball sized hail. (it was even worse to watch because it was in the daylight!) Much to my surprise, the only damage on the whole car was some metal trim on the wiper door.
That's crazy, I'm hopeful all will be fine, just when I look at my trucks damage and my wife's cars damage knowin the boat got hit just as hard got me worried !

Thanks for the reply !
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hail actually can tear up interior - you need to inspect all the seams and any cracked damaged vinyl also structures. It would be wise to clean you hull and the sides. Look at the sides of the hull and tops under different shades of the sun and really wise to inspect under florescent lites like in a building.

Also look at your rub rail VERY CLOSE because they can end up looking like a small ball peen hammer hit them all over the place. We have inspected many hail claims for customers and the Insurance companies.

Bow light and any aluminum and all plastic & aluminum vents to look at as well. Really every thing including the trailer needs to be inspected even for slight dents and or more.

Last edited by BUP; 03-27-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

My Pantera got hit with some 2" + diameter hail. It was hooked to my truck. I had the full cover on and the boat did not have any damage.
The truck and house had about 15k combined damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.