New 572 builds hp guesses >

New 572 builds hp guesses

Notices

New 572 builds hp guesses

Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
So speaking of cams, what would be some suggestions to take full advantage of my new heads, comp ratio, and keeping good valve train reliability and a hydraulic is a must. I cannot remove the valve covers with the motors in the boat! And what hp gains would be seen over my current cams??
Best option is forced induction in a larger hull ;-) But we have already chatted about that!

Your builds going to be perfect for this summer. I would recommend giving Norm a call at least, maybe fill out his online form first. If you like chatting with him next step is decide how much power increase would make you buy a set? 20+hp a side is well worth the cost IMO. You can easily sell your carbs for good money, plus your reliability stays the same.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It definitely be worth the test to try each carb, especially if Norm is willing to do that free of charge. I'd be trying both carbs, see what happens, then make a decision. Its a no lose situation.

Which model dominator did you get Rob? Not all dominators are the same. Just booster design can have a huge impact in the carb's performance. An Annular high gain style booster, can make much better torque down low, and sometimes better top end HP, then a down leg.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
It definitely be worth the test to try each carb, especially if Norm is willing to do that free of charge. I'd be trying both carbs, see what happens, then make a decision. Its a no lose situation.

Which model dominator did you get Rob? Not all dominators are the same. Just booster design can have a huge impact in the carb's performance. An Annular high gain style booster, can make much better torque down low, and sometimes better top end HP, then a down leg.
Exactly, a no lose proposition, 1 of 3 results, modern dom beats it, they are same, 4150 beats it but by how much? Like i said though, my 548 ISNT the first motor in the 600 to 850 hp range that one of his 4150's has walked away from a dominator, we can theorize, guess, tell our opinions, talk about our favorite carb but in the end having a high end carb builder bring his carb to dyno then personally tune it, goes from a discussion to real world. I would love to see this happen!!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by 5050
big cube engines like a wider lobe sep. I think 114 would be better to carry torque flatter and longer without drop off and more lift where the sweet spot of flow is in heads. Torque is what pushing a prop. I'm gonna say ur set up will be close to this pic dyno sheet. Zz572/620 in my last boat. Engines wouldn't pull past 5450 in my last boat [ATTACH=CONFIG]565973[/ATTACH]
Looks like the valvetrain was starting to fuss around 5500 on the dyno. I'd have to see the airflow #'s to pretty much confirm this.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:44 AM
SB
Registered

Icdeppl's 548ci 900hp carb'd roots engines. Twin 1050 quick fuels, out of the box idle circuitry. Engines stone cold after startup in this video. He runs no water stats, so the engines never build any heat in them. They will idle at 950 in nuetral, 700 in gear, and idle all day long without fouling a plug, or stalling while shifting around the dock with 17.75" cleaver props.. I've seen some high end big name built 900hp roots engines, that surge like a MF'er, stall out when shifting around the docks, blacken the transom after 1 day on the water.
Does he have the Daytona Sensor's ignition box also ? I forget.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Does he have the Daytona Sensor's ignition box also ? I forget.
Yes. We played around with the idle timing quite a bit, and got it pretty much where it seems happiest.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Exactly, a no lose proposition, 1 of 3 results, modern dom beats it, they are same, 4150 beats it but by how much? Like i said though, my 548 ISNT the first motor in the 600 to 850 hp range that one of his 4150's has walked away from a dominator, we can theorize, guess, tell our opinions, talk about our favorite carb but in the end having a high end carb builder bring his carb to dyno then personally tune it, goes from a discussion to real world. I would love to see this happen!!
For sure. That be an awesome test. As was yours . The more testing we do, the more we learn. For years and years, I kept hearing about how roots blowers make intake air temps of 200 plus degrees, and intercoolers on them make it soo much cooler , but nobody ever had any actual intake air temp readings to back it up when you asked them. Not even some of the blower companies or intercooler companies. Then we go and start putting intake air temp gauges in our intake manifolds, and find out that a 10-71 setup with no intercooler, isn't even barely at 140 degrees in the intake at 6000rpm in the boat. And that with a intercooler, the iat temps on the roots were as low or comparable to a intercooled centrifugal setup in some other boats.

Most of the stuff I've dealt with tinkering, has mainly been supercharged marine stuff. I have a question regarding the N/A stuff, and carb/intake relationship.

I see alot of guys here stick to 4150 intake setups. Its typical they add 2" of carb spacer to the manifold, and pick up power. How come nobody runs an intake like a Profiler, that pretty much has a built in spacer in it? Seems like most respond favorably to more plenum volume. Seems like when you get into the 540, 572, 598 ci , 6000rpm big blocks, especially ones with higher static compression, proper cam, good heads, good exhaust, all netting a good volumetric efficiency , the CFM requirement is up there, in the 1000-1100 range.

It be cool to see how a 572 like Rob's, does with a 1050 dominator, 1170cfm custom 4150 from Norm, then bolt on say, an out of the box 850 carb. Seems like in the racing world , when the big cube big block chevy's start getting into the 700+hp range, most builders go for the 4500 series carb, unless they are class limited to a 4150. Most of the guys over on speedtalk claim they have seen the dominator almost always beat out the 4150 carbs at that level when dyno testing . But, they also aren't running a 4150 that flows 1170cfm from a guy like Norm.

If we took norms carb out of the equation , it seems like Tims 4150 quick fuel thats rated at 1050cfm, was comparable in power to the 1050 dominator it was tested against. On a 650ish hp engine combo with those carbs. It be interesting to see what would happen, if those carbs were bolted on a setup making say, in the 750hp range. Im sure if we bolted them on a combo thats making in the 500hp range, it be a no brainer the 4150 would likely be the winner.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Registered

I posted this a while back in another thread. Figured it might be relevent to this discussion
Attached Thumbnails New 572 builds hp guesses-intaketests.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

For sure. That be an awesome test. As was yours . The more testing we do, the more we learn. For years and years, I kept hearing about how roots blowers make intake air temps of 200 plus degrees, and intercoolers on them make it soo much cooler , but nobody ever had any actual intake air temp readings to back it up when you asked them. Not even some of the blower companies or intercooler companies. Then we go and start putting intake air temp gauges in our intake manifolds, and find out that a 10-71 setup with no intercooler, isn't even barely at 140 degrees in the intake at 6000rpm in the boat. And that with a intercooler, the iat temps on the roots were as low or comparable to a intercooled centrifugal setup in some other boats.

Most of the stuff I've dealt with tinkering, has mainly been supercharged marine stuff. I have a question regarding the N/A stuff, and carb/intake relationship.

I see alot of guys here stick to 4150 intake setups. Its typical they add 2" of carb spacer to the manifold, and pick up power. How come nobody runs an intake like a Profiler, that pretty much has a built in spacer in it? Seems like most respond favorably to more plenum volume. Seems like when you get into the 540, 572, 598 ci , 6000rpm big blocks, especially ones with higher static compression, proper cam, good heads, good exhaust, all netting a good volumetric efficiency , the CFM requirement is up there, in the 1000-1100 range.

It be cool to see how a 572 like Rob's, does with a 1050 dominator, 1170cfm custom 4150 from Norm, then bolt on say, an out of the box 850 carb. Seems like in the racing world , when the big cube big block chevy's start getting into the 700+hp range, most builders go for the 4500 series carb, unless they are class limited to a 4150. Most of the guys over on speedtalk claim they have seen the dominator almost always beat out the 4150 carbs at that level when dyno testing . But, they also aren't running a 4150 that flows 1170cfm from a guy like Norm.

If we took norms carb out of the equation , it seems like Tims 4150 quick fuel thats rated at 1050cfm, was comparable in power to the 1050 dominator it was tested against. On a 650ish hp engine combo with those carbs. It be interesting to see what would happen, if those carbs were bolted on a setup making say, in the 750hp range. Im sure if we bolted them on a combo thats making in the 500hp range, it be a no brainer the 4150 would likely be the winner.
I would love to see tims QF1050 on a 750, 850, 950 hp motor against a 1050 dom, if they both made 654/655 hp on my 548, they both flow 1050 cfm at same flow standard is there any reason the equal flowing dominator other than looking cool should out perform it anywhere?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:15 AM
SB
Registered

Yes. We played around with the idle timing quite a bit, and got it pretty much where it seems happiest.
And this would help the carburetor tuning for sure.

The more dialed in you can get the ign, the more dialed in you can get the carb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.