Running engine out of boat >

Running engine out of boat

Notices

Running engine out of boat

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 821 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Running engine out of boat

I want to start my engine before I put it in the boat. Whippled 525efi. Motor is currently being stored 1.5hr away so I want to make sure I have everything covered before I head up there.

Water in - 1-1/4" hose to connect to garden hose
Water out - from headers and intercooler outs
Fuel in - small tank with hose w/ primer bulb
12v in to #5 purple ignition on 10pin harness
12v to #7 yellow/red only to run starter

Not sure about power steering. Just connect high pressure hose from power steering pump out to power steering cooler to close the loop?

Am I missing anything else?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope.. should be it...

Wait.. just watched my video again... Timing light ? Fuel pressure / oil pressure gauges ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDcPh-SSBYY

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 04-11-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Registered

Yes that's something I forgot. I have a pressure gauge I'll thread right into the regulator just to check that at idle. Maybe if I have all the smartcraft parts at that time I'll hook that up to monitor other pressures. Timing is set in PCM so timing light wouldn't do me much good. Did you have a power steering pump turning in that video?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

and don't goose the throttle sitting on a little stand. 500 ft/lb torque. 500 lb engine. 1 foot wide stand. I would hang it from a hoist too...
Old 04-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Yes that's something I forgot. I have a pressure gauge I'll thread right into the regulator just to check that at idle. Maybe if I have all the smartcraft parts at that time I'll hook that up to monitor other pressures. Timing is set in PCM so timing light wouldn't do me much good. Did you have a power steering pump turning in that video?
The pump was turning.. I just cut an old pressure hose and hooked it to the reservoir return barb.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let the raw water pump draw from a 5 gal bucket thats being filled by a garden hose running wide open. Thus taking you from high pressure -low flow ,to low pressure high flow on the cooling system .
Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I would also recommend letting the intake hose draw water from a supply. I used a large cement mixing tub (30" x 42" x 10" approx size) filled with water. Exhaust was positioned over this tub while to reclaim 75% of the water while I also had the hose pouring water in. Motor could drain tub in a few minutes even with the hose on full. Those raw water pumps will move a lot of H20.

If able simply remove the belt to the PS pump rather than plumb a return line. If you have a serpentine belt that may be more problematic.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I use a big beer tub like what you see on the floor at the bars or I guess some people call what horses drink from. Anyways Took out the drain screw plug at the front bottom of the tub and hooked up the correct size barb that the inlet water impeller pump hose can connect to, then hose clamp it.. I use a bit longer hose than the stock length. Then fill the tub with water to run engines.

I have the tub mounted to a nice rolling cart. We even use to run outboards and even ran loose 60 hp and down outboards mounted in the tub to run under load as well back in the day. I set this up 27 years ago and still have it.

You will be surprised how fast a 5 gallon bucket will get drained at 1500 rpms even with a water hose trying to fill it.

Last edited by BUP; 04-12-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Registered

Great tips thanks guys! The bucket/tub idea is something I had thought of at one point and since forgotten about. The dual stage water pump on this motor will probably draw more than a garden hose can supply, it's basically two pumps in one. I have 1" barb to garden hose fittings that will put in the header to tail jumpers so I can attach hose to each header and drain that water at a distance or reclaim it in the tub. I will also try to get the intercooler water out hoses into the tub as well to reclaim that water.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh damn ! You will need some water for that raw water pump. Run the reclaim system from exhaust with a bildge pump , wont make as much of a mess also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.