Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Another 5.7 mercruiser will not start. >

Another 5.7 mercruiser will not start.

Notices

Another 5.7 mercruiser will not start.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 5.7 mercruiser will not start.

So I'm trying to help out my brother-in-law with his boat. It's a 2001 bayliner with a 5.7 mercruiser EFI with a MEFI-3. He was cruising around and engine stopped. He had it jump started and changed batteries and boat ran for a little while again then shutoff We he looked at it he saw the alternator had a broken terminal. So I replaced the alternator hoping to solve the charging issue. I did not attempt to start the boat prior to changing the alternator. Once change I attempted to turn engine one. Engine turns over but no spark. I started to look into why and I seen the distributor sensor was showing open. So I went ahead and replaced it. Still no chance. I follows the trouble shooting guide and replace the coil. Still no change. I connected a inline spark checker to the primary and still no spark. I disconnect the (-) side of the coil and tap a ground against it and I get a spark. I reconnected the wire and no spark when I'm trying to start the engine. I tried to get the DTC from the ecm but the led will not light up. When I turn the key to run position I do not hear the fuel pump turn on. I do have 12v at the + side of the coil and also at the 10 pin connector for DTC reader. What should
I look into next?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Howdy

Could use your engine serial number to make sure, but you will have 3 fuses and 2 relays next to the DLC connector. The fuses will be covered under black rubber cap or caps.
They should be: Fuses (15 Amp) Fuel Pump, (15 Amp) ECM/DLC/Battery, (10 Amp) ECM/Injector/Ignition/Knock Module

I tried to get the DTC from the ecm but the led will not light up. When I turn the key to run position I do not hear the fuel pump turn on.
From this comment it may one or more of those fuses
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i agree,always check the fuse,s before anything else.