BBC Hyd Roller Lifter Lift

Notices

BBC Hyd Roller Lifter Lift

Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 800XCR
It seems there are claims of being able to run those rpm's, but I have not yet been able to get confirmation or the amount of lift. I currently run solids that are due for a change and just thought I'd see if I could find someone with first hand experience.

Thanks
650 is the norm for the big end I've seen some bigger, but I'm with Mike T on the lift, the duration is what you need be concerned with, many factors to deal with here...
but to answer your question on high rpm hydraulic vs solid roller tappets, Lunati has the tappet for that
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
High RPM Hydraulic Roller Lifters - Lunati Power... these will run high rpm without incident.. 7000 isn't unheard of.. open your wallet
I bought lunati high rpm hyd roller lifters before and they were morel high rpm lifters, never had problems mentioned on here w not pumping up but did they change suppliers?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-18-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Short bursts, you can get away with a lot.
And as far as 7,000 rpm, I would assume you are talking about relatively short runs (30 seconds or less).
Running a constant-load at 7,000 rpm in a performance boat application requires VERY substantial components.
I would stay under 6,000 with hydraulics. 7,000 screams SOLID to me.
Just my 2 cents.

MC
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run my SC 565 to 7000+ almost every time out for short bursts. using Morel .903 hydraulic lifters. cam is ,680/.690 @ 256 and 264 @ .050. i do have Jesel shaft pro rockers. never run sustained high rpm for long because of accelerated wear. rebuild engine every other season, about 110-120 hrs.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm perfectly happy occasionally adjusting lash and visually inspecting my setup VS dropping $1k on hydraulic specialty lifters and trusting the gods at 7,200rpm.
BBC valvetrain is not particularly stable at 7k+ unless a LOT of money is spent on girdling or shaft mounted rockers. I regularly have to weld up and remachine BBC race heads that have suffered bent/pulled out studs/broken stud bosses, etc. I did a set of ProLine heads last fall that had 2 completely broken out bosses on one side and 3 on the other and this motor ran full girdles as well.

Hydraulic lifters are a "convenience item" in my book. They allow you to skip maintenance intervals by adjusting to accomodate wear/thermal expansions and DAMAGE to the components. I like to check lash and SEE everything. Check stuff. When ONE has more (or less) lash than the others, it is a CLEAR INDICATION that you have an issue to search out. Hydraulics hide these issues until they become nasty.

You guys do what you want to do.
If I'm spinning a stud-rocker BBC 7000+ then I'm runnning solids, I'm checking them on a regular basis. Spend the money you'd pay for a set of $1,000 Morels on some valve covers with removable lids.

m