496ho shutting off

Notices

496ho shutting off

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Snobo4rder08
Bought he boat without much research my entire bad fault. To good of deals usually end up this way. When I turn my key no I don't hear any noise or beep.

Side not my voltage has been low since this happened.

Just took it to one of the most reputable merc mechanics in Wisconsin right out of Oshkosh dropped it off and told them everything that I have wrong.

I bought the boat off of power boat listings from a small town in Texas north east of Dallas will post a picture to see if anyone recognizes it.

99% sure there was a charger on the engine before I bought it but seller said no. Also it is a 2004 and it was advertised with 200 hours on engine and that is what meter says in engine bay but will have the mechanic scan the engine to check it out.

Side note, if I find there is actually a **** ton of hours on the engine woukd you think there is legal evidence of him having to help pay for some of the repairs?

Trim tabs do not work, trim barely works as of last week, just a headache, depressing first buy and realize it is my fault for not having it professionally looked over
I missed what I bolded and underlined in red above,

Get to it !
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Yes, I did near the same (in my case about 10" x 10" or smaller) installing a Procharger, The intercooler (factory position - I couldn't really put it anuwhere else anyay) needed more room.
Then I'm assuming he ripped off charger and sold boat to me with charger tune on it and just said screw you. Fun fun ready to ghost ride this thing over a damn
Old 05-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Thanks for the good words first and foremost.

I want to add I have never ever touched this boat nor seen this boat ever - and the reasons I want to post this is 1. I do not want my name associated in any form linked to a problem child like this --- The deal with me would have been, if the boat was in my hands whenever timeframe(s) - I would have either passed on touching it or the boat would have left my hands without one single issue being 100 percent turn key lake tested and lake ready., I very much so wanted to post this to make sure my name was never on this boat period. Sorry for being so adamant about this here. Hopefully not sounding like a pita either.
Sorry BUP I didn't mean to imply that, I know that's not what your saying, you just want to make sure you name is clear of it. Only thought it was a possibility due to the proximity. The boat is in decent hands now we will keep you guys updated with what we find out.

OP is struggling a little with the questions mainly because he does not know what normal is. One thing that is interesting is no recollection of hearing the fuel pump after the key is turned. I would have to hear it to know for sure. We are going to let them see what they find and go from there.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Yes, I did near the same (in my case about 10" x 10" or smaller) installing a Procharger, The intercooler (factory position - I couldn't really put it anuwhere else anyay) needed more room.
Originally Posted by Questofpower
Sorry BUP I didn't mean to imply that, I know that's not what your saying, you just want to make sure you name is clear of it. Only thought it was a possibility due to the proximity. The boat is in decent hands now we will keep you guys updated with what we find out.

OP is struggling a little with the questions mainly because he does not know what normal is. One thing that is interesting is no recollection of hearing the fuel pump after the key is turned. I would have to hear it to know for sure. We are going to let them see what they find and go from there.

100% never heard fuel pump or beep when key was turned. I have been boating my entire life, live out on a lake out here and parents have had tons of boats. How I made such a bad decision on my first purchase blows my mind

Saw a boat I have always wanted and didn't think before I bought. Live and learn

I never even thought about it till now how always when I started my parents boats you always heard the fuel pump and a siren/beep.

Again thank you all for all of the information I will be forwarding a lot of the info to the mechanic working on it just incase he misses something
Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Registered

100% never heard fuel pump or beep when key was turned. I have been boating my entire life, live out on a lake out here and parents have had tons of boats. How I made such a bad decision on my first purchase blows my mind

Saw a boat I have always wanted and didn't think before I bought. Live and learn
Don't beat yourself up too bad. We all talk all wise and smart on here. But I have list a mile long of dumb $h*t that I have done and I am guessing everyone that has posted here has one too. My list is still growing. Just last year I let my wife tell me when the power steering pump reservoir was going low while trying to bleed out a new hydraulic steering system (I knew better). I know that if you let the smoke out of electronics that is bad, apparently, if you let the smoke out of a power steering pump that is bad too. After, cracking the lines at the back just a little I ran to the side she says its empty and starting to smoke. What the )(*(*.

It is really my fault I never told hear exactly what to do. She says I was waiting for you to come back over here because I know you would not have heard me at the back of the boat. Anyway only cost me a few hours and power steering pump could have been worse. I could have went to jail.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about you issue. I just sold a 2005 Baja 30 Outlaw. Over the years we had a few 496HO gremlins also. That being said, I have a spare 496HO PCM that I purchased used. The computer was not my issue. It was a water pressure switch. I live in Souther WI. Please contact me if I can help.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Registered

Just wanted to update as I now found out what is all wrong. Who ever had the boat before I bought it wired all 4 batteries in series with way to small of wire and melted all the wires and relays into the engine. Alternator was also shot from him doing this. So glad it was all an electrical issue. They also replaced all fluids, gaskets, and scanned computer for anything else wrong. Get to pick it up Tuesday

They said it was running in guardian mode at 85% when they looked on computer which I am glad becaus I could only get 63mph at 4600rpms on a bravo 1 26p
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
4 batteries and all hooked to what and where and why ??? Also sounds like a wiring mess in the making as well

I did list voltage as an issue, all ECM's / PCM's hate low voltage and unsteady voltage. They need proper voltage and steady voltage constantly.

How many accessories are spiced into any of the wiring harnesses here ? a complete not to have anything sliced into a computer control engine - any inline splicing of whatever added into the mix can cause voltage problems hugely . Just saying
HMMMM pretty much a sums of all it right here and Like I say always read available power % per scan.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
HMMMM pretty much a sums of all it right here and Like I say always read available power % per scan.

Any idea what I should be seeing for top end?

496ho all new fluids
190 hours
Cmi headers
Whipple tune

Have 24p bravo 1, 26bravo 1, 25p mirage plus, 29p bravo 1 with vents
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just wanted to update as I now found out what is all wrong. Who ever had the boat before I bought it wired all 4 batteries in series with way to small of wire and melted all the wires and relays into the engine. Alternator was also shot from him doing this. So glad it was all an electrical issue. They also replaced all fluids, gaskets, and scanned computer for anything else wrong. Get to pick it up Tuesday

They said it was running in guardian mode at 85% when they looked on computer which I am glad becaus I could only get 63mph at 4600rpms on a bravo 1 26p
4 batteries in SERIES? That would mean your system was running at 48 Volts; which would've had you fully engulfed a long time ago.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.