Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pressure relief valve...how do you set it? >

Pressure relief valve...how do you set it?

Notices

Pressure relief valve...how do you set it?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Some regulators are designed to set psi before them.

Some regulators are designed to set pressure after them.

One needs to find out from the manufacturer on how it is designed.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Some regulators are designed to set psi before them.

Some regulators are designed to set pressure after them.

One needs to find out from the manufacturer on how it is designed.
Color me stupid. If the water coming out of the chiller goes overboard, as I suspect it does what is the regulator doing after the chiller?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I put mine in the sea strainer feeding the chiller. My thoughts are that if you put it after the chiller, the core still gets the initial pressure spike that opens the valve. If you put it before the chiller, that pressure spike should be under control before it hits the core.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snapmorgan........that definitely makes sense to me...but I'm no engineer!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by benjen
Color me stupid. If the water coming out of the chiller goes overboard, as I suspect it does what is the regulator doing after the chiller?
If it is a regulator that maintains psi before the regulator, it is creating pressure in the chiller and everything before it.

Same circumstance as above,If it is a regulator that maintains psi after the regulator...well, the regulator doesn't want to open and let water passed it because you will not make any psi (resistance) passed it by dumping ater in the atmosphere...until you reach the max psi of the regulator hich will force it open and let water out.

Think about fuel systems. A dead headed carb system with a high psi pump will have a regulator before the carb to reduce the psi to one that the carb can handle. This regulator sets psi after the regulator.

A return style commonly used in EFI will have a regulator after the injectors. It send unused fuel back to the tank with little or no psi. This regulator regulates the psi before the regulator.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complicate things and some things easier to explain in person vs computer.

I'm ust trying to make sure those with psi issues and using a regulator don't have it installed / rigged incorrectly.

Maybe if those that don't understand my ramblings and want to really know, google psi regulators and how they work.

It can be kind of tough to learn the concept, but it is easy enough once you 'get it' you get it and are all set from there.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I'm gonna drink beer!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I'm gonna drink beer!
What psi is your tap regulators set at ?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually run around 35-40lbs on my setup, my opinion is that it's high but my mechanic says it's fine lol what could be causing the restriction? Thermostat? Closed cooled system, scx drive.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Install it so it is schematically parallel to the inlet of the chiller.
Even if they were to put it on a test bench and set it to 30 PSI for example, we must remember that the pressure range it is advertised as having is the delta from the inlet to the outlet. Certain installations may offer different backpressure on the outlet. This is why putting a pressure scale on the valve wouldn't be accurate for certain installations. You must also make sure that the valve has enough flow capacity for the application.
Another approach would be to install it in series on the outlet of the chiller. This would hold pressure in the chiller any time the engine is running. This is a bit more risky and is not fail-safe incase the relief valve sticks. If you are looking to protect against pressure spikes, an accumulator installed in parallel to the feed line would be a much better choice.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.