Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Weird issue bleeding full hydraulic steering rams.... >

Weird issue bleeding full hydraulic steering rams....

Notices

Weird issue bleeding full hydraulic steering rams....

Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird issue bleeding full hydraulic steering rams....

I went from and add-on dual imco system that I added the the inside full hydraulic kit this winter to. I am having some what seem like dead spots in random spots while running it on the hose. I did the normal back and fourth several times and the fluid is no longer airrated. What is strange is that on the hose running it I can turn the wheel and have perfect ram movement in relation the turning the wheel. Then all of a sudden I can turn it a 1/4 turn with no ram movement.

I started bleeding the ram lines by turning the drives to one side and cracking the fittings. It bleeds nice clean air free fluid out of all the ram lines one at a time. But when I move the drives to make a right turn the one hose will only dribble some fluid out of it where it had a nice steady stream out of it the other way. It's always the same retracted ram inner hose when the drive is in that right hand turn location. The connected hose on the opposite ram flows good clean fluid out of it like normal.

The drives don't budge at all and the fluid is free of any air in the tank.

I should just go run it and see if all is well on the water but the idea of no longer having a mechanical connection from the wheel to the drives is making me a bit of a puss.

Any ideas would be appricated. Or just tell me to run it and hope for the best!

I have searched all the posts and don't see anything with no flow when bleeding at the rams.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by COOPS
I went from and add-on dual imco system that I added the the inside full hydraulic kit this winter to. I am having some what seem like dead spots in random spots while running it on the hose. I did the normal back and fourth several times and the fluid is no longer airrated. What is strange is that on the hose running it I can turn the wheel and have perfect ram movement in relation the turning the wheel. Then all of a sudden I can turn it a 1/4 turn with no ram movement.

I started bleeding the ram lines by turning the drives to one side and cracking the fittings. It bleeds nice clean air free fluid out of all the ram lines one at a time. But when I move the drives to make a right turn the one hose will only dribble some fluid out of it where it had a nice steady stream out of it the other way. It's always the same retracted ram inner hose when the drive is in that right hand turn location. The connected hose on the opposite ram flows good clean fluid out of it like normal.

The drives don't budge at all and the fluid is free of any air in the tank.

I should just go run it and see if all is well on the water but the idea of no longer having a mechanical connection from the wheel to the drives is making me a bit of a puss.

Any ideas would be appricated. Or just tell me to run it and hope for the best!

I have searched all the posts and don't see anything with no flow when bleeding at the rams.
Just got off the phone with Imco and he was great with some basic ideas but we are both stumped as to why in would not have fluid coming out that hose when it should be full pressure at that point in the ram movement.

Any ideas I am all ears..

Anyone have a blown ram inner seal? What did it act like?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What engine ?? the way I bleed the system is ( no need to run the engine )....... remove the ps belt, while spinning the ps pump with a drill have someone turning the wheel lock to lock, ( back and forth ) while keeping the reservoir level up not to suck in air, it may take 20-30 min to bleed all the air out.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Registered

2004 6.2
No air. Fluid free of any foaming in the tank.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567509[/ATTACH]

I get very little fluid out of the red fitting when cylinder #2 is fully extended and cylinder #1 is fully compressed. But I get full flow out of the blue fitting that is attached to the same hose tee.

When ram 1 is extended and ram 2 is compressed and the lines are opened I get full flow out of all 4.
Attached Thumbnails Weird issue bleeding full hydraulic steering rams....-2017-05-18-19.29.01.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

All the air bled per everyone's ways.

Take the boat out yesterday and I have to keep turning the wheel right to keep the boat straight at cruise speeds. I mran like a full turn from one end of the lake to the other to keep it straight.

Is it possible the new helm is defective? What are the signs?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

May sound weird but to test the helm unit, reverse the lines on the inside of the transom, if the problem follows its the helm.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
All the air bled per everyone's ways.

Take the boat out yesterday and I have to keep turning the wheel right to keep the boat straight at cruise speeds. I mran like a full turn from one end of the lake to the other to keep it straight.

Is it possible the new helm is defective? What are the signs?
I would make sure rams are not bypassing,do they hold psi ? Not positive but looks like #6 jic fittings get some steel caps ,cap cylinders off see if they hold .
Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
May sound weird but to test the helm unit, reverse the lines on the inside of the transom, if the problem follows its the helm.

Wouldn't that reverse the steering?
Old 05-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bj1464
I would make sure rams are not bypassing,do they hold psi ? Not positive but looks like #6 jic fittings get some steel caps ,cap cylinders off see if they hold .
I capped rams and can't push or pull the ram but I am not putting the kind of force on it that the water is.

What about capping that rams lines and running with a single ram? Imco says it's fine and I do have tie bars inside and outside that lock the drives together.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Registered

In order for it to require me to continue to turn one way to go straight I would think is has to be bleeding pressure in the rams or the helm from one port to the other.

I have another pump that is just along for the ride on the other motor. I don't think it's a pump issue but I could swap them and see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.