Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Power wire for elec choke

Registered
    My Boats:
    Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console

Power wire for elec choke

Just did several upgrades on a 92 350 merc setup, using a edelbrock carb with elec choke, could not find a place to get ign on power except main power to coil, with grounds out the system and will not let it fire, could find no other wires in harness that would work...any idea's ? thanks Rob

SB
    Registered
    I snowmobile because the voices in my head tell me to.
    I believe the purple right where it connects to the alternator.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hg4d.pdf

Registered
    My Boats:
    '86 Formula 206, '89 Formula 272 (Sold), '87 Formula 311
    If the alternator has an "ac tap" it works good for the choke. Omc has that style of alternator cant remember if merc does

SB
    Registered
    You can, per say, (S or STA terminal((Stator)) terminal which is AC, but most newer carbs like Edelbrock have chokes that strongly advise to use 12+vdc, This is why Edelbrock says not to hook to the distributor, again meaning the S or STA terminal found on some alternators...like Ford and Merc's mando.

The terminal on the back of the Mando alternator that has the purple wire hooked to it has switched 12vdc of course.

Registered
    My Boats:
    33 Fountain 35 Mainship
    Quote Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
    Just did several upgrades on a 92 350 merc setup, using a edelbrock carb with elec choke, could not find a place to get ign on power except main power to coil, with grounds out the system and will not let it fire, could find no other wires in harness that would work...any idea's ? thanks Rob
    Any purple wire in that harness is connected to the others. Did you hook it to the purple or gray at the coil? If you ground out the purple you'll blow a fuse or pop the main breaker not just kill the ignition.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited jd View Post
    Any purple wire in that harness is connected to the others. Did you hook it to the purple or gray at the coil? If you ground out the purple you'll blow a fuse or pop the main breaker not just kill the ignition.
    gray wire, did not blow any fuse, runs fine with wire unhooked..

Registered
    My Boats:
    33 Fountain 35 Mainship
    Gray wire is the ground signal from the ignition module. Hook the choke wire to the positive side. Purple wire.

Registered
    My Boats:
    there is a gray wire to + coil, where I tried, will ck for the purple at the alt, the wiring at the alt has been hacked up by someone...

SB
    Registered
    Doh ! One Gray wire should be tach wire the other gray from ignition module as mentioned, both which is on the - of coil. And of course all purple wires are switched +.

Here some decent pics for wiring of the Mando altternator Merc uses on most engines:

Offshoreonly Advertiser Offshoreonly Advertiser Mbam's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1972 Cigarette 36 race
    Quote Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
    there is a gray wire to + coil, where I tried, will ck for the purple at the alt, the wiring at the alt has been hacked up by someone...
    Sounds like your coil is wired backwards. The grey (or greys if more than 1) should go to negative, purple to positive. But I don't like hooking anything to the coil.
    SB and TylerBurich like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast