Yamaha sho jet ski. Any knowledge anyone >

Yamaha sho jet ski. Any knowledge anyone

Notices

Yamaha sho jet ski. Any knowledge anyone

Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yamaha sho jet ski. Any knowledge anyone

Last year this jet ski. Yamaha sho , turbo clutch goes out. 1800 to fix . 46 measly hrs. , get it back. End of sommer , 1.5 hrs later limp mode. Now back to Yamaha. Want another 1500 for the sensor bad. , say have to change whole intake throttle body n sensor one piece. . I'm done with Yamaha. 50 . Some tenths hrs n 4500 bucks. I knew not to no frikken jet ski. I certainly would think you coun change this sensor without everything else needing to be changed. , am I getting hosed by dealership. Or sound normal. Thanks rob.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Donno,... That's why I do real boats with I/O power,....

No jetskis for me,...
Old 05-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Rob, those are some of the issues I read a few years ago when I was looking for a pair of PWCs. I spoke with a local dealer as they sold both Yamaha and Seadoo. He advised me to go Seadoo as he saw less warranty work and general downtime.

That said, I've talked with many owners at LOTO that have had no issues at all with their SHO watercraft. Hopefully you're gets straightened out.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha parts are crazy expensive. There are few websites that sell genuine Yamaha parts on line for up to 40 percent off retail. Off the top of my head partzilla sells Yamaha parts at 30 percent off but there are deeper discounts if you do a google search. This helps some but I am sure the labor rate is also high. Jeff wurl
Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Since this is "out of pocket" money, I assume you purchased used instead of new (warranty).
ANY preowned purchase should be preceded by some research into common model-specific problems. ESPECIALLY ANYTHING SUPERCHARGED.

These are good units, with only a few shortcomings. As with most things, the first couple of years for a new mechanical doodad are the "research and development period". Superchargers are especially prone to model-year updates and upgrades as defects in consumer use show up.

Supercharger drive on earlier SHO Supercharged Yams won't take a lot of abuse (abuse=chopping the throttle at high revs, causing boost to spike and mechanical load on the drive to also spike - you should develop a habit of rolling out of the throttle rather than just CHOPPING it). Options are an upgraded shaft/gear OR a blowoff valve. BOV can be added externally and is the preferred fix unless you plan to run higher boost. They don't come from the factory with BOV's because the Coast Guard is weird about how the bypass routing must be done, and the result takes up a lot of engine room space and is overly involved. An Aftermarket BOV can be added safely as long as you run the bypass back to the airbox or somewhere before the blower. Likely won't technically be CG approved though.
TP sensor and MAP sensor are indeed replaceable without the entire assembly, but it's not considered a separate piece "by Yamaha". The part numbers cross over to readily available units.

SeaDoos had a TON of supercharger drive problems for many years but are fairly reliable in stock form these days.

For a unit out of warranty, you need to shop for a capable shop that works FOR you rather than against you. A Yamaha dealer is encouraged to use Yamaha part numbers, so you will likely miss out on any available cost savings that an aftermarket part might deliver.

M
Old 05-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I sank a VX110 in salt. Left it tied to the back of the Hatteras a couple 3 weeks. Pumped it out, put 15 gallons of oil thru it getting water out of engine. The only part that failed was the sheet metal of the oil filter rusted through. I can't say enough good things about this ski when not supercharged. They do 2000 hours as rental skis. 3000 in the caribbean.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 05-28-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree to above post, I have had the FXHO non supercharged for years, been awesome runs close to 60 and been totally reliable, does like spark plugs for a 4 stroke, other than that +