Sea strainer Question >

Sea strainer Question

Notices

Sea strainer Question

Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sea strainer Question

I just had sea strainers installed in my 33 Outlaw that has twin HP 500's. I notice the starboard side sea strainer circulates a lot more water inside the strainer than the portside strainer when running. I was wondering if this is normal? Thank you in advice for any advice!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Did you rebuild both sea pumps when you installed the sea strainers?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Did you rebuild both sea pumps when you installed the sea strainers?
I don't think they rebuilt the sea pumps when they installed strainers. They didn't mention doing that when I set it up to have them installed.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtb_05
I don't think they rebuilt the sea pumps when they installed strainers. They didn't mention doing that when I set it up to have them installed.
The difference could be the water impellars. One being old and worn vs. the other being new.

I can tell you on our boat we have a similar situation. They both flow well but one flows better than the other. We just re did our impellars and can tell you they were both like brand new.

Only thing I can think of is plumbing coming into the strainer. One is a little longer and has more of a bend than the other. Just my guess.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
The difference could be the water impellars. One being old and worn vs. the other being new.

I can tell you on our boat we have a similar situation. They both flow well but one flows better than the other. We just re did our impellars and can tell you they were both like brand new.

Only thing I can think of is plumbing coming into the strainer. One is a little longer and has more of a bend than the other. Just my guess.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 new rebuild kits for the sea pumps. I'll see if that changes anything, but I'm pretty sure it's an indication the impeller is worn. This is a new to me boat so I don't know when they were changed last. So might as well start there for piece of mind.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

and back flush the coolers and the water line into the strainer from drive. unless it comes right thru the hull like a sportfish.