496 Mag oil pressure sender >

496 Mag oil pressure sender

Notices

496 Mag oil pressure sender

Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mag oil pressure sender

On my 496 mag were is my oil pressure dash gauge hooked to ,I cant seem to find the sender , I have another oil pressure gauge in my engine compartment which is hooked to the back of the block with the clear hose works great40-45 always ,the dash one don't work to well shows 15 -20 and sometimes jumps up to 40 but then back down to 20 ,installed new gauge thinking it was that but same issue , I have twins and the starboard side works great both gauges show 40-45 always , so I'm guessing the sender for the port side to the dash gauge is needed changed but cant seem to find were it goes ,can anyone tell me were that is located ,,, its aggravating all new gauges and that one does its own thing ,,
Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say it's the gauge. Or you'd be getting a alarm
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Had this saved ...........

On the Mercury 496 engines there are two oil pressure snesors/senders. One is for your helm guage and is located at the back of the block on top of the ledge just behind back of the intake mAnifold base. This has a single push on wire plug. The other oil sensor is located on the left side of the block, over the top of the oil filter adaptor pad. this sensor has three wires and is the one that connects to the ECM and records the oil pressure readout for the computer ECM. It is common for these two different sensors/senders to read slightly different pressures because of where they connect in the pressurized oil system and just the differences in sensor/sender types. Generally on stock 496's the oil pressures will be between 40-60 psi cold and 35-55 warm at idle or thereabouts. At high rpms/WOT they should read between 50-70 psi cold and 45-60 hot. Thes are approximate numbers and remeber diffent helm guage installations and brands of guages can read differently. Differences will also show up depending on the oil type and weights you may be using as well as ambient temperature and water system temperature. If there is any real low or over high oil pressure on these motors the Guardian system will beep and note it as a fault.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was gauge also but it's a brand new one and doin the same as the old one did. Thanks for the info I'm going to see if I can find that second sender and possibly maybe the connection.