Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Imco steering leaking water through transom mount plate. >

Imco steering leaking water through transom mount plate.

Notices

Imco steering leaking water through transom mount plate.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Imco steering leaking water through transom mount plate.

This past weekend I noticed water in my bilge. About an ounce or 2. I noticed my port side imco dual ram steering thro G hull fitting to have water in it. I loosed up the 3 bolts that mount the plate tto the transom. The bottom of the 2 through hills is wet but no damage to the wood. I'm waiting to here back from Imco but then backing on the mount feels like cork. Anyone have suggestions on how to stop the leak. New catalog shows a rubber gasket ?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3M 4200 will stop it.

Loosen it up, squeeze it around the fitting and put it back together while its still wet. What ever mushes out use your finger and wipe away the excess.

Get it off your finger quick. The tube should say how long it needs to sit before being submerged in water.

You could get the rubber gasket if its the same and go that route, the 4200 sealer will outlast the rubber though.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

To go a little further. Take some masking tape, tape the edge of the fitting and tape the transom around it. Apply plenty of silicone to bed it. Tighten it down and when the silicone is about half dry peel the tape. This will give you nice clean sharp margins and keep the silicone from spluging everywhere