Another 525 rocker failure >

Another 525 rocker failure

Notices

Another 525 rocker failure

Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 525 rocker failure

Reading through all of the previous forums on this issue, I should have caught it sooner. Last time out, i started hearing some "tapping" coming from my 2008 525 motor with 260 hrs. Engine was surprisingly still running decent, but it did not sound right at idle. I pulled the valve cover to find one of the rocker's worn out and the needle bearings laying on top of the head. Looked just like the pictures posted on previous forums. Pulled the other cover and found one other rocker showing wear but it hadn't failed yet. Reading through the forums, I'm leaning toward the spring replacements with the Isky 8005a and the 10* retainer. Does anyone have the part number for the Scorpion rockers?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Id be very surprised if all those needle bearings stayed up top, you're pulling the heads to set installed height on new springs ?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Best bet is to call Eddie Young and he will put all the parts you will need together in a package. He has a very good list of tried and true part upgrades for the 525s. Agree with the above comment on the needle bearings, have you accounted for all the pieces?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ like ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by voodoorob
best bet is to call eddie young and he will put all the parts you will need together in a package. He has a very good list of tried and true part upgrades for the 525s. Agree with the above comment on the needle bearings, have you accounted for all the pieces?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Registered

I found all pieces except for 3 needle bearings. the failed rocker was on the number 6 exhaust valve and all of the remaining pieces were in the back corner of the head. I'm assuming those 3 went down to the pan due to the location of the others and no other damage or symptoms noted.

Thanks for the info on Eddie. I will give him a call. Was hoping I could get away with changing those parts without removing the head.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the oil filter and cut it open (with an oil filter cutter) to see if there are metal shavings in the oil. If you're lucky, those needle bearings just fell down through the lifter valley into the bottom of the pan and stayed there. You're still going to need to find them. You don't want those things floating around in the oil. As for springs, I agree with the choice of Isky 8005A and 10* degree retainers / locks with an installed height of 1.850. That is also Eddie's recommendation. I also believe Eddie recommends Harland Sharpe rockers but you should definitely give him a call; he's my go-to guy on anything 525 and usually get my parts from him.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The needle bearings will go right through an oil pump whether there is a screen on the pickup tube or not. Hopefully you can find them all so you don't have to tear it down further.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm going searching for the 3 missing bearings. Unfortunately, I tossed the oil filter last week when when drained the oil. I was hoping once the bearings were in the pan there wouldn't be risk, but your posts have convinced me otherwise. On the oil drain hose, do you know if the attachment to the oil pan is magnetic? Draining the oil didn't reveal any of the bearings, but I doubted they would even find their way through the drain hose. Hoping to try a magnet in a couple more areas before I have to pull the engine out.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I personally would just pull the engine. Doing the heads with the engine out will be way easier (and I'd pull them and replace the head gaskets while out) and then you can pull the pan to account for the remaining needle bearings.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I personally would just pull the engine. Doing the heads with the engine out will be way easier (and I'd pull them and replace the head gaskets while out) and then you can pull the pan to account for the remaining needle bearings.
^^^^ this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.