Why Upside Down Oil Filter?

Notices

Why Upside Down Oil Filter?

Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I`d rather have upside down, at least it drains out with a hole at the top .

Mine , not so much

Attachment 568116

When I had that style I would punch a hole in top, then when you start to turn it have a cut washer fluid bottle under to drain into made a lot less mess, that style sucked!!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

like ^^^
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I`d rather have upside down, at least it drains out with a hole at the top .

Mine , not so much

Attachment 568116

I'd feel sorry for you but my jealousy gets in the way.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) Always ensure you can spin the filter before you pop a hole in one. The last thing you want is a compromised filter that you have drained, that is stuck on the motor. Also, a filter that is full of oil is less likely to collapse when you really need to torque off a tight one.
2) You can drain an inverted one by poking a hole in the TDC, and IF you have an anti-drain back valve, you will need to pierce that too. Then let the oil drain back into the pan.
3) On a filter that is open end up, you can pop a hole in the /edge/end, and drain it out into a bottle that you can put a funnel on to decrease the mess.
4) You can also do the same on a side-mount filter. But you will have to put a finger over the hole as you spin it off.
5) You could also install pre-lubers and just push a button and walk away.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
3) On a filter that is open end up, you can pop a hole in the /edge/end, and drain it out into a bottle that you can put a funnel on to decrease the mess.
4) You can also do the same on a side-mount filter. But you will have to put a finger over the hole as you spin it off.
On those, I put a gallon sized zip lock bag over the filter, unscrew filter and let it drop into the bag.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
On those, I put a gallon sized zip lock bag over the filter, unscrew filter and let it drop into the bag.
I am cheap. I usually just double up two plastic grocery bags.

Padraig
Old 06-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I always wondered the same thing until I heard of the trick on here. When doing a filter change, loosen the filter slightly but do not remove it. Let it sit a few minutes. By venting it with the loosening, all the oil in the filter drains back into the pan and you actually wont spill a drop when you remove the filter. Works like a charm.
Yep, works like a charm. No need to punch holes in the filter.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RickVicik
Why does Mercruiser mount oil filters with the open end pointing down?
Because It make changing them so easy a cave man can do it.
1: Open hatch,
2: Take screw driver, punch hole in top of oil filter. Wiggle it back and forth.
3: Get out of boat, gather supplies,
4: Re board boat with oil change stuff. (The time gathering stuff lets the oil filter drain down).

Im down to 1 single shop towel to change oil both engines.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You loosen the filter to break the suction, it will drain the oil out - do not stab a hole in the filter as when you tear a hole in any metal object -- where does any of that portion of metal go --- hmmm maybe drain right back down with your motor oil then possible caught in one of your hose lines or where ever. . So do not stab oil filters.

The upside filters are because of clearance issues and better access plus some thoughts that the oil coming out of the filter flows better being upside down. I am not sure on that one. but it has been tossed around persay about the flow
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bup
you loosen the filter to break the suction, it will drain the oil out - do not stab a hole in the filter as when you tear a hole in any metal object -- where does any of that portion of metal go --- hmmm maybe drain right back down with your motor oil then possible caught in one of your hose lines or where ever. . So do not stab oil filters.

The upside filters are because of clearance issues and better access plus some thoughts that the oil coming out of the filter flows better being upside down. I am not sure on that one. But it has been tossed around persay about the flow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.