Lets talk about drive spacers >

Lets talk about drive spacers

Notices

Lets talk about drive spacers

Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
Default Lets talk about drive spacers

So, what are the benefits of drive spacers?
- Deeper prop depth
- Handling characteristics
- Prop selection
- Bow lift or not?
- Stern lift or not?
- Better cruise or top speed?
- Prop slip
- Planing

Please let me know what you've experienced while testing drive spacers.
I'm trying to get a 37' straight bottom Active Thunder tuned in with a relatively high X. Can only get on plane with Bravo 1 4 blades. All my other brand 4 blades blow out and I would like to carry the bow better.

Thanks

Last edited by Rookie; 06-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Before you put on the spacers, why dont you talk to Brett at BBlades and see if you can lab what you have.... If you can get on plane you are good to go. Might just need a little tweaking.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How far below the bottom are your prop shafts Rookie?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Drive spacers can do wonders if your x-dimension is not optimized. I purchased a boat whom the previous owner added a 3 inch lifted IMCO box to the factory placed x-dimension and sold the boat to me before getting it dialed in. We tried different props with no spacer and the boat handled poorly. We tried a 2" spacer and got the slip in the single digits with B1 prop but were leaving speed on the table. We then tried a 1" spacer and prop slip was too high. Finally settled for 1.5" spacer w/ B1 prop and the boat handles great everywhere. It's amazing what adjusting your x-dimension just 1/2" will do.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get your hands on as many spacers and props as you can. Start where you are with no spacers and try different props. Write down the good and the bad of each one. Then go as deep as you can. Try all the props again even if they didn't work high they might work deep. After all that. Figure out any combos that might better your situation and try that. It's a very long process. Get clean containers and save your drive oil because you will go through a lot with lower swaps. Don't drain it all. At least keep the lower full when swapping spacers. After a few times you will be able to swap spacers on both drives in a 1/2 hour with a helper. Good luck. Just keep in mind. Big jumps in sizes will tell you way more way quicker than doing little adjustments for the direction you should go.