Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank >

Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank

Notices

Best Way to Remove Foam Around Gas Tank

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
the problem is timing. you either spend the boating weekends cutting out the floor, gouging out the foam, etc,etc, or you find room for a 20 gallon moeller plastic tank for the next 2 months. mebbe in the cuddy? yeah it is kinda half-a$$ed but you have all fall to gut the cockpit and replace the tank. where do you run this guy? del river or margate-ocean city? in vintage chromo's resto thread for his pantera, on page 5 there is a bit about his fuel tank replacement. if these boats are that similar, they may all take essentially the same tank. at one point I stumbled across his tank measurements in his photobucket file. don't see it now, but he can probably find it for you. but 1 pic on page 5 shows the florida marine sticker which implies it is a standard tank they have on file. worth looking into. big fun. good luck. Derek.
NO WAY I'm ridding around with a 25 gallon bomb strapped in the cuddly.I cut the floor out last night it came out in one piece it took less then a hour.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I seem to remember a thread where someone used a kitchen electric carving knife to cut foam around a tank.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-And...&wl13=&veh=sem

Padraig
Old 06-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

You didn't create a problem but you discovered one. You should be able to go ape with a fish tape and not puncture it so was ready to leak if not already. To be honest I was expecting a better story like using 3" lag bolts while mounting avtransducer to the bottom side of the hull. That would've been my style of mistake.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought that was a tube that was glassed in below the tank. unless on the vector it just opens to a void below the tank which lets tank get wet. if that is the case, put a tube in there before reinstalling the tank. this takes you right to the page in Vchromo's thread with the tank and hole it lives in. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...#&gid=1&pid=16 cuz the whole idea is to keep water and other stuff away from the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a piece of 1-1/4" Copper tube cut about 4-5" slit and open up like a U .
I would think twice about using electric powered anything to remove gas soaked foam.
For sure glass a new pvc tube in to keep water from contacting tank,i also sealed top of foam with epoxy resin per the advice of a local fibreglass guy.
The original tank in my Python was short and wider than the engine stringers.
Newer boats may have long narrow tanks like a Pantera.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you removed the floor to see if its foamed in? My python tank wasn't foamed in and was easily removed. They do make a chemical you can pour into the foam that dissolves it. I saw it used on shipshape tv last weekend.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes I got the floor removed, mine has foam around the tank.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product that removes fam

Fiberglass coatings in Broward county Florida, has a product that you pour in and deslves foam. I think fci.com is the web site. You can google them. Otherwise It is a biatch of a manual job, god luck.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Would like to find something to dissolve foam, but so far I've seen nothing which actually works. The fci.com is not found

I tore out and refoamed (5 pound) in my tank two years ago, it was a bear, but foaming was easy
Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergja
Fiberglass coatings in Broward county Florida, has a product that you pour in and deslves foam. I think fci.com is the web site. You can google them. Otherwise It is a biatch of a manual job, god luck.
10-4 on this saw it used on Ship Shape TV just last week. \

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.