Couple questions on finishing up 540 build >

Couple questions on finishing up 540 build

Notices

Couple questions on finishing up 540 build

Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions on finishing up 540 build

Hey guys, been a long engine build for me over the winter and just finishing up a few things. Im installing a stainless marine crossover kit and was reading on the forums here about heat and pressure problems. On the intake is it better to dump the rear of the intake or tie it back into the front ports on the intake?? Or could you do both and tieing the front to the rear then dump into the exhaust or straight overboard?? Also I was reading and it seems like the stock thunderbolt IV ignition is fine with 20 degree advance but what would be the best rev limiter to add onto the system. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have the crossover that has the bypass hose?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el
Do you have the crossover that has the bypass hose?
no the crossover and thermostat housing dont have a bypass..... i was planning on drilling 2-3 holes in the t-stat
Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjewell1988
Hey guys, been a long engine build for me over the winter and just finishing up a few things. Im installing a stainless marine crossover kit and was reading on the forums here about heat and pressure problems. On the intake is it better to dump the rear of the intake or tie it back into the front ports on the intake?? Or could you do both and tieing the front to the rear then dump into the exhaust or straight overboard?? Also I was reading and it seems like the stock thunderbolt IV ignition is fine with 20 degree advance but what would be the best rev limiter to add onto the system. Thanks for all the help

I run a crossover on a 502mpi Procharged. I run crossover, no bypass, no thermostat, no intake mods for coolant ports, no water pressure problems, and the motor runs outstanding for the past four years. Not sure if this helps but maybe. My water temp runs about 100 degrees all day and oil temps after hard run about 220 degrees.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Registered

The problem with that set up is when the thermostat closes you can get a pressure spike. you may find that you will have to add a pressure relief valve. I have the crossover with the bypass no problems.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Registered

ok where do you normallt add in the pressure relief valve??? and that why i was thinking of adding a dump either out the back or into the exhaust to help relieve pressure and keep the rear cylinders cooled. I know its been gone over alot just seeing what is the best way to do it.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Registered

I have mine after the oil cooler before the water goes to the crossover. The reason I have a relief valve is I have a imco lower unit and the pressure got a little high. I also have the water lines off the back of the intake manifold going to the front of the manifold.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that setup, as long as you are using good oil cooler/lines, etc you will need a oil thermostat. as will be to cold oil temps
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

OK. so it sounds like running lines from the back of the intake to the front is a good idea to even out cylinder temps.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Registered

I would not go too big with the lines. Maybe 1/4 "