Mufflers with dry exhaust? >

Mufflers with dry exhaust?

Notices

Mufflers with dry exhaust?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mufflers with dry exhaust?

Just curious as to what you guys have run for mufflers on dry exhaust? I called Teague today and the idiot there told me to go to autozone and clamp on a set of car mufflers. My set up is Lightning headers ( the same idiot at Teague said Lightnings are junk) with solid tails that run through the transom and the water exits out of thru-hull fittings. I'm looking for something clamp-on. The tails are 4". Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corey331
Just curious as to what you guys have run for mufflers on dry exhaust? I called Teague today and the idiot there told me to go to autozone and clamp on a set of car mufflers. My set up is Lightning headers ( the same idiot at Teague said Lightnings are junk) with solid tails that run through the transom and the water exits out of thru-hull fittings. I'm looking for something clamp-on. The tails are 4". Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
We run the CMI mufflers but on CMI exhaust where the tail pipe tips have a notch to allow water to be dumped at the end of the tip. This keeps the CMI switchable mufflers to be cooled open or closed....sure this is clear.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Yeah, I talked to the guy from CMI today and he said without water I'd just burn the mufflers up. Which is a shame cause a guy on here has a good deal on a set of their Sound Eliminator mufflers. I just can't have any water in my exhaust stream due to reversion. I'm running a 408ci LS motor and it sucks water like crazy. Even with the exhaust dry to the tip, it reverted. So instead of changing my cam, I went dry on the exhaust. It's pretty loud, and I am just looking to get rid of the "crackle" of the exhaust. Good thing is, if I can't run anything I don't have any kind of sound level laws on my lake, so I can deal with it.

I did pick pick up a set of Drew Marine Shotgun mufflers but those aren't a clamp on. I would have to drill a hole through both tubes of the exhaust to mount them and that won't work cause of the water being able to enter the exhaust stream if I do that. I could cut and weld on them and make them a clamp on style, but I hate to do that if there is something that I can just bolt on and sell these.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not sure I am following you as we having no CMI reversion issues. We are set-up with CMI dry tail pipes where the water dumps at the tip of the tail pipes into the CMI mufflers. You are saying that water is reverting because of the CMI mufflers? What is your angle of fall on the tail pipes? We are using a fairly aggressive cam profile and we have had 0.00 issues with reversion.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 06-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

No, not saying that at all. I have reversion without any kind of muffler at all, even when the exhaust was dry all the way to the tip outside of the transom. So to fix that, I made them completely dry. They are still jacketed, just now the water exits out of the top of the tail just inside the transom and exits out of thru-hull fittings. No water in the exhaust stream = No reversion. Now I am just looking for mufflers that can be used with no water in the exhaust stream. I called CMI about their Sound Eliminator Mufflers and he said they can't be run with no water in the exhaust.

Just to reiterate, I no longer have any kind of reversion issue. I just want to see if there are any mufflers out there that would work with dry exhaust.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Now following you, we dump 90% +/- water into our CMI tail pipes thru the transom but still get a small amount of water mist between the inter & outer tail pipe wall at exit. This water (heavy mist into the CMI mufflers) does not revert in our setup.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 06-21-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a guess, but I doubt you will "burn up" the muffler. You will of course lose the polish and they will look like crap, but should hold up ok.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by benjen
Just a guess, but I doubt you will "burn up" the muffler. You will of course lose the polish and they will look like crap, but should hold up ok.
Well, apparently the CMI's have some o-rings and seals inside them and that's what I would burn up. But you are right cause I also talked to the guy from Aqua Power today as well and that's what he said. They would turn brown and blue and look like crap eventually.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

GGB's will definitely be fine with dry exhaust...don't know how much quieter they'll be run dry ? I'd look into it.
They make many different OD's and maby different lengths (# of baffles)

Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When i started using my dyno i had giant semi or tractor mufflers, i found they still cost 15 to 20 hp though, it may have been exhaust reversion though where 6" tube slipped over 5" tube. I had a set of 5" 400$ gibson clampons laying around and stuck them on the 5" pipes, they cost about 3 hp at 550 hp, cost 7 to 10 at 700 hp. After 100 pulls they still look fine and there is nothing in thembto burn out, might be a viable, cheap option for you! How much hp we talking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.