bravo xr lost reverse

Notices

bravo xr lost reverse

Old 06-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo xr lost reverse

HI,

To make a long story short. We hit something and reverse broke.

Forward still works fine. I looked at how the cone clutch works, and I'm a little confused. I can hear it/feel it shift into reverse. if the drive gear is good, and the shift is good. How can reverse be lost? could it have only broken the reverse gear on the clutch side and not have hurt the main drive gear?

Or, something else?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Registered

after doing some looking. I'm wondering if it's possible that the cone clutch was a fuse.

320ish hours on the drive. Could have been worn and this was the nail in the coffin. I didn't try a prolonged increased accel to see if it would bite...maybe I should have

I'm trying not to waste time. looks like I could fix this in a day...the 4th is this weekend. You all know this routine.

Think I should do ahead and order the gears too? Or just get the clutch?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

You need to tear it down and see what you need, otherwise your just guessing. I have only been in 15 or 20 bravos total so im no expert but i havent seen a cone clutch broke in half or anything yet, the bad ones i have seen were either burned into fork and melted black, seized to short shaft etc. Now, i wouldnt be surprised to see a shattered torrington on top or something not holding gear for cone clutch to seat

Last edited by articfriends; 06-26-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Could be a multitude of things such as broken clutch spring, blown floor out of the gear, worn bump ring, broken thrust bearing. That's just for starters.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

I didn't really explain what happened very well, and why I think it's only a clutch.

Essentially, we hit a shallow spot in the middle of the channel. I was essentially at idle so that's why forward is okay.

However, do to my proximity to a bridge at the no wake, and how far I was off the shore, I didn't really think we could have hit, pretty much a sand bar (which is what happened). So I was a little thrown off.

so, I trimmed up with the trailer button and put it on reverse. But, come to find out, we had indeed hit a random ass unmarked sand bar in the middle of the channel.

So, the prop was stuck in the mud when I shifted it to reverse. There was no blunt prop impact in reverse.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It could be a number of things. And rebuilding a drive is not for an amateur. There are a number of special tools needed, and bearing pre-loading and shimming is an art, not a science.

If you think you want to take a shot at it, you could always over-order, and sent unused parts back.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered

well....interesting development.

I brought it down to the boat ramp to see if I couuld get it in to gear. And...it acted just fine. It would go in and out of reverse. back in to forward. If I gave it throttle it would accelrate. I didn't really drive it, but it did go in and out of gear multiple times. No noises or awful sounds.

Think the shaft coupling just bound up and messing around wtih it just straightened it out?

I keep second guessing myself but there's no way I was not moving and accelerating backwards.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

did the prop incur any damage?...did the engine stall when you were stuck and put it in reverse?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i see you are from chicago,where do you go boating?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
did the prop incur any damage?...did the engine stall when you were stuck and put it in reverse?
No damage from that incident, no.

Engine did not stall. which I also made a comment to my wife about as I thought that was odd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.