502 MPI won't rev >

502 MPI won't rev

Notices

502 MPI won't rev

Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 502 MPI won't rev

Hi folks. I have a 41 PC with twin 502's (MPI). My starboard engine won't rev above 3600rpm and I can't figure out why. Despite being at full throttle, it will only rev to 3600. It has new distributor, new ignition module, new plugs, new plug wires, almost new fuel pump. I plan to change the plugs again tomorrow as they are showing that they are wet. What should I try next? My plan is to change the plugs + fuel filter. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Hook a fuel pressure gauge to schraeder valve on efi rail, just had customer w same problem, only had 28 to 30 psi, bad regulator, should be 38 to 43 psi, Smitty
Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

and if --- the fuel pressure is NOT being the issue - I would scan the engines and compare parameters between the 2 and the reading of rpms of the engine not reaching correct WOT rpm levels from the engine scan as well.. Check the tach to make sure its accurate .If no scan tool on hand -- Maybe swap tachs or a digital remote tach or timing lite display of rpms. Then prob compression testing and spark plug reading

Next if nothing stands out - I would switch the drives and see what happens there. Check the props as well - especially rebuilt ones by sub par prop shops. I prob see about 2 or 3 twin engine apps with one side different gear ratio per year and about 10 times per year with mixed match and or poorly rebuilt props on twin engine apps. .

Last edited by BUP; 07-23-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
and if --- the fuel pressure is NOT being the issue - I would scan the engines and compare parameters between the 2 and the reading of rpms of the engine not reaching correct WOT rpm levels from the engine scan as well.. Check the tach to make sure its accurate .If no scan tool on hand -- Maybe swap tachs or a digital remote tach or timing lite display of rpms. Then prob compression testing and spark plug reading

Next if nothing stands out - I would switch the drives and see what happens there. Check the props as well - especially rebuilt ones by sub par prop shops. I prob see about 2 or 3 twin engine apps with one side different gear ratio per year and about 10 times per year with mixed match and or poorly rebuilt props on twin engine apps. .
The drives aren't the issue and worked fine prior to this incident and the rpm's on the gauges read perfectly. I have floscans and they read almost dead on. I'm now leaning towards the fpr. But today I planned on changing the plugs, fuel filter and maybe the plug wires for good insurance.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered

Figured it out. Had a fubar plug wire. While there I changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap/rotor, ignition module, fuel filter. She's running perfect now! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Cool ! But I thought you just did all that and more ?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Cool ! But I thought you just did all that and more ?
When I posted, I hadn't installed the plugs, plug wires and distributor cap just yet. (doh!).
Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown284
Hi folks. I have a 41 PC with twin 502's (MPI). My starboard engine won't rev above 3600rpm and I can't figure out why. Despite being at full throttle, it will only rev to 3600. It has new distributor, new ignition module, new plugs, new plug wires, almost new fuel pump. I plan to change the plugs again tomorrow as they are showing that they are wet. What should I try next? My plan is to change the plugs + fuel filter. Thanks!

Just pointing out, to help us help you diagnose, info told to us needs to be accurate as possible.

That said, and again, cool to here you are all set. Good job.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

Just pointing out, to help us help you diagnose, info told to us needs to be accurate as possible.

That said, and again, cool to here you are all set. Good job.
Yep, understand. I used to drag race and built my own car --- so i understand. It was my intent to INSTALL every single part. However, time would not allow. Therefore, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. I had every single intention of installing all those parts LOL.