Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 NA Oil Breather Setup/Catch Can? >

502 NA Oil Breather Setup/Catch Can?

Notices

502 NA Oil Breather Setup/Catch Can?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 NA Oil Breather Setup/Catch Can?

I have a 502 carb motor. Currently it has Spectre Oil Breather on each valve cover and both valve covers have baffles. After a few hours of running I get a nice film of oil on everything in the engine compartment and the breathers are saturated. Getting tired of constantly wiping everything down in the there. The boat originally had elbows where the breathers and hoses attached to the flame arrestor. Not sure if I want to put that much oil through the carb. and restore the old lines.

Thought about installing a crankcase oil filter system but not sure what guys are doing about this. Anyone point me in the right direction? Do I leave one breather on and use an oil trap on the other cover? Run both valve cover lines into the trap and buy one that has a breather filter on top of the trap? Just want to get this cleaned up in there.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

merc is using pcv valves mounted in the intake manifold behind the carb. but make sure the baffle-splash tray above the lifters is installed. also search puke tank on here. and look on ebay for oil catch tank. give you an idea what is out there and prices.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do I run both hoses from the valve covers to the catch can? Or do I use a breather on one, the other to the can and then from the can to the intake manifold?
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the can will catch most of the airborne oil, but theres still going to be a bit going into the spark arrestor. I ran both my rocker cover breathers into a T and then to the can, with one hose going to the spark arrestor.. seemed to work pretty well.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also run a vent hose off top of can to spark arrestor instead of just venting into engine compartment. Can is like a water seperator in fuel system. Let's the oil drop out, but the blowby still has to go somewhere.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless the engine has excessive amount of blowby, adding a PVC from 1 valve cover to intake or carb and other valve cover left as a clean intake(from filter or flame arrester) will help keep it clean