Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
8.2 Mag 2011 locked up >

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Notices

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So at this point it looks like the OP's best bet is to take boat to a licensed dealer and have the existing engine repaired. Sorry I made you spend so much time shutting down my backyard a$$hole ways, but I am sure I am in the majority with NO IDEA just how draconian the new rules are. Every other thread on this subject has this sentence somewhere in it. "The minute this thing is out of warranty these cats are being removed!!"
​​​​​
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it only pertains to manufactures that produce in volume. BUPS new build is a custom one off and no cats on that .
by the way, how is this going, have not seen any updates in a long time.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered

I think OP joined the forum to find an engine for his boat. This isn't BUP's build. He is a Merc dealer who comes on here and spends a lot of time pointing people down the right path. I am a shade tree idiot who can usually come up with a way to make something work. In this case with the emissions laws being the main issue BUP most likely knew he was educating a LOT of people on what they have to deal with when major repairs become necessary. Thread is only a couple of days old, but I think OP has moved on.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update the engine has dropped a valve and broke the piston, any ideas on what would cause this was cruising around 3800 and had been for 10/15 minutes when this happened, concerned that this may happen again to the other engine or even the new one. Specifically choose this power for reliability and this happens, is this common and should I get rid of the boat and get something with different power if so what would be recommended for reliability
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Did you read the TSB ?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Registered

There was a reversion issue with the early incarnations of these engines. Could be the cause. But sometimes a part just breaks. Did the block survive? Did you buy this boat new? As SB and BUP keep stressing, there are service bulletins on these engines. Addressing the PCM'S and risers. Find them, read them.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The 502 is a reliable motor, dropping a valve doesn't happen very often. To me my first thought would be a keep broke and that would be a manufactures defect, so GM issue and not Merc. Doubt you can get GM to pay for it but it would be worth going down the path with help from the dealer
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Registered

Did it drop a whole valve, or did a head pop off a valve? There is always a reason a part failed. But after 5 to 6 years, everybody will most likely invoke Eddie murphey's line. "Wasn't me!" And Lawyers and metalligurcal experts will no doubt be more expensive and time consuming than just having it repaired. As long as the engine can be repaired. I am not saying don't try. But ranting and threatening will have your boat waaay on the back burner. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

IN California 2008 all marine inboards / I/o's under 500 hp has to meet strict emissions requirements and also has to be an emission controlled engine = cleaner emissions and catalyst syetems . This was CARB who started for the state of CA and of course the EPA and Govt. Next in 2010 all the rest of the USA had to follow this exact suit.

The wake board market did this even before it was mandated in CA. In 2006 Indmar came out with CAT engines. They were smart and used it for marketing plus all Marine OEMS knew the mandated CAT was coming anyways. Indmar used it to their advantage. How is that ?

1. wakeboard boats - boarders and surfers are very close behind the boat ==== exhaust emissions in the face of those that do this sort of thing. Hence Indmar marketed a cleaner exhaust so boarders / surfers do not suffer like in the past of emission poisoning out the exhaust.

Anyways its federal law whether one like its or not, Currently anything below 500 hp for gas inboards and I/o s has to have an EC engine ==== EC = emission control = catalyst marine engine all USA 2010 to currently under 500 hp. And 2008 to current for California.

Last edited by BUP; 08-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

this OP engine if HO / 8.2 is 430 hp. Also it does not have one GM part in it period. Merc sources parts for this engine among --- with their 4.5L - V6 and 6.2 L - V8 engines. They are built buy Mercruiser.

Like I said the blocks are not GM either - A foundry makes these blocks for Mercruiser. Again not one part in any of the builds is GM period. All black side Mercruiser engines have a catalyst. and all black side mercruiser are under 500 hp in which is why the federal mandated EC engines are required. This is not state law its a federal law for the emissions in the marine world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.