Mercury Gear Lube Questions >

Mercury Gear Lube Questions

Notices

Mercury Gear Lube Questions

Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Am i the the only one that runs the amsoil 75w-90 marine gear lube? Seems like everyone runs the amsoil anything but marine.
I run the marine and always have. When George at AADS was rebuilding my drive this summer, he asked which Amsoil I used. He said he used to run the Severe Gear but started losing cone clutches after what he believed to be an additive or formulation change by Amsoil.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Have not used it yet, I had large supply of the High Performance Merc stuff. Will need toreplace supply this sspring. So I'm listening if this new stuff is better or not.

Mercury Racing Gear Lube 85W-90 1-Quart #8M0078015
  • SAE 85W-90
  • For use in Mercury Racing gear cases
  • Do NOT mix with any other gear lubricants
  • For use with gear lube pump 802891K2
  • 32 fl oz plastic bottle
Mercury Racing Gear Lube was designed for outboard and sterndrive racing applications. This gear lube provides maximum protection against: • Water intrusion – advanced emulsifiers protect gears if water enters the gear housing • Wear – tackifiers and pressure additives improve oil film adhesion and protect against excessive wear • Horsepower loss - prevents horsepower loss and won’t break down when gears reach high temperatures

Recommended for use in Mercury Racing outboard gear cases including: Sport Master, Torque Master, Fleet Master, VI SSM and IV SSM and Mercury Racing sterndrive applications including Dry Sump Six,NXT6, SSM, NXT, Bravo XR, Bravo XR Sport Master drives and NXT transmission assemblies.

This is what I want. Amazon doesn't have it and a google shopping search came up blank! If no one knows where to order it I guess I will call around.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

If the newest and best is "Extreme Gear Lube" - why doesn't it say it on the bottle?? From a marketing perspective, wouldn't it sell better?? (whether you needed 'Extreme' or not, it's got to be better and 'faster', right?? LOL)
Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
If the newest and best is "Extreme Gear Lube" - why doesn't it say it on the bottle?? From a marketing perspective, wouldn't it sell better?? (whether you needed 'Extreme' or not, it's got to be better and 'faster', right?? LOL)
That's what threw me off on my last oil change. I bought the old green hi-per oil and then found out that there is a better lube out now. So the old "latest and greatest" says High Performance and this one says Mercury Racing. 🙄
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

The Merc Racing you are looking for is no longer made. That bottle with the blue oil and the brown label has been replaced. Quicksilver Extreme is the new stuff, brown oil now. The new Quicksilver Hi Performance is the standard everyday gear oil, not what you want for your set-up Thirdchildhood.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
100% agree, the marketing is screwed up and the names are confusing. Should have wiped the slate clean and used new branding. Merc missed the mark on this one creating a bunch of confusion.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am a bit lost here why amazon and google and all this typing time to figure out products and part numbers ?--- ones local dealer can due this in one minute plus why not support your local dealer with buying marine stuff. I am not saying to spend thousands but your local marine dealer pays taxes, employees people in the area, puts on boating events - supports local lakes, Also some even offer free classes on maintenance and how to tech women to drive boats.

Also some dealers and or their employees might be up here offering free help that they were trained on for years but their training was not free at all. Amazon and ebay and google are well off but some businesses in the marine industry can be struggling.

Not a negative post on my part just IMO for the marine industry it would nt hurt do a bit more in parts buying to help out the small guy in their local community on the OEM marine end.

Last edited by BUP; 08-31-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

For reference, I bought a few bottles of Mercury Quickleen from my local Merc dealer - was a few cents cheaper than lowest I found online, and I picked it up same day.

Originally Posted by BUP
I am a bit lost here why amazon and google and all this typing time to figure out products and part numbers ?--- ones local dealer can due this in one minute plus why not support your local dealer with buying marine stuff. I am not saying to spend thousands but your local marine dealer pays taxes, employees people in the area, puts on boating events - supports local lakes, Also some even offer free classes on maintenance and how to tech women to drive boats.

Also some dealers and or their employees might be up here offering free help that they were trained on for years but their training was not free at all. Amazon and ebay and google are well off but some businesses in the marine industry can be struggling.

Not a negative post on my part just IMO for the marine industry it would nt hurt do a bit more in parts buying to help out the small guy in their local community on the OEM marine end.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
The Merc Racing you are looking for is no longer made. That bottle with the blue oil and the brown label has been replaced. Quicksilver Extreme is the new stuff, brown oil now. The new Quicksilver Hi Performance is the standard everyday gear oil, not what you want for your set-up Thirdchildhood.
Wow. This is getting crazy. OK, I will look for Quicksilver Extreme!

Originally Posted by BUP
My local dealers north of Detroit do not even stock the old High Performance gear oil. I found a hardware store in northern Michigan that does and I've been getting it there. Now I'm off to search for the new stuff. I would gladly support local business if they stocked what I need. I get my engine oil and filters at the local NAPA store.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Registered

Well I got the holiday behind me and looked into this. The "Extreme Performance 85w90" was not easy to find but Teague has it at $16.95/Qt. and I ordered some. They confirmed that it is the best gear lube offered by Mercury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.