Keith Eickert 1000 SC >

Keith Eickert 1000 SC

Notices

Keith Eickert 1000 SC

Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Keith Eickert 1000 SC

Does anyone know the spec's on the Keith Eickert EFI 1000 hp engines? There seem to be a few different versions, so the engines built around to 14-71 blower, not the PSI version.

I believe these are 572s but not positive, also curious of the cam specs, springs, when the springs should be changed, etc. I know it is suggested to change out the springs every 50 hours on the SC 900 Merc engines, curious what guys are doing on the Eickert 1000s.

Last edited by endeavour32; 09-15-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Call Lightning Performance. Keith came out of retirement and is back working for Don again. This assumes Keith actually built these mills and not someone else under his name.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

That's what I thought, the the phone number doesn't work, and he used to have a website, but that is no longer there either.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a customer here in Miami with two of their 1000 but they're 540s with the same 14-71s I freshened them up about two years ago and he has 100 hours without touching them the cams were .630 lift hydraulic rollers I used Iski springs they had cranes in them originally and the engines had 200 hours on them when I went through them. The old springs were decent but the lifters were used up. When you do the top ends make sure you replace the lifters. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
I have a customer here in Miami with two of their 1000 but they're 540s with the same 14-71s I freshened them up about two years ago and he has 100 hours without touching them the cams were .630 lift hydraulic rollers I used Iski springs they had cranes in them originally and the engines had 200 hours on them when I went through them. The old springs were decent but the lifters were used up. When you do the top ends make sure you replace the lifters. Good luck.
I'm going to have to do a little more digging. I'm pretty sure these are solid lifter engines and tall deck blocks, but I haven't ran any numbers off the blocks to confirm yet. Did the engines you worked on look like these?

I'm going to dig into these this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Attached Thumbnails Keith Eickert 1000 SC-img_0568.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't quite see very good but it looks like you're running a single stage oil pump external. If that's the case then that's the only thing I can see different the engines I worked on were straight wet sump with internal oil pumps but the same EFI set up. I can tell you as an engine builder sometimes we change cams and hardware to suit the customers needs the best thing to do is pull a valve cover and look at what you have if they're solid rollers I would service the springs between 50 and 80 hours and always change the lifters. I use on many of our engines a less aggressive solid roller which is better known in the industry as a tight lash solid roller to eliminate the use of hydraulic rollers due to the noise and lack of valvetrane control at high RPM. These units I use I have had 150 hours between service and not as much as the valve adjusted in them, but it has to have good internals . If I'm not mistaken your engines should have Jesels in them. Check it out and let us know. Sincerely Laz
Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Registered

Laz-

Thanks for the advice. One of the engines had an internal noise, which I thought was a bad wrist pin. Today, I decided to tear down the engine and see what the issue was, and then I would also be able to answer some of my questions.

The noise turned out to be a broken lifter. It appears that they are Crower lifters, so they are a quality lifter, but they had 180 hours on them, so way past what you recommend in an engine like this.

Now for the engine itself. It was indeed a tall deck and with some quick measurements it appears to be a 4.5 stroke with a 4.56 bore. Heads are Canfield but not sure the size, and the rocker arms are TD shafts. Now due to the fact that the wheel on the lifter broke, it took out the cam, so I'll be switching both engines over to a tight lash cam. Now my question for you is it possible to use this type of solid cam and not lose power? Solid cams are new to me so I know little about them. Second, I'm planning on using either Isky or Crower lifters, do you have any opinions on either of these?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Mike check and see what pushrods you have. If there in good shape and .130 plus on the thickness I'd stick with the crower severe duty hippo. Red zones as many others are good also but a matter of preference. You get red zones you'll have to change the pushrods cause of the taller lifters. If end up changing out pushrods and lifters then it's a toss up. Most have opinions on what they feel is best and what holds up. Nice thing about the red zones is you can send them out and get rebuilt for about 18.00 each.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered

I was curious if the Iskys would have a different height than the Crowers. I also agree with the fact that the Iskys can be rebuilt, it's a big factor in spending more now, but after one refresh it will be a wash. As to the thickness of my push rods, I have no idea what they are, I'll have to look the next time I'm up.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Registered

I finally have all of the specs on the Eickert 1000SC engine. If anyone else ever needs them, here they are:

Block: Dart Big M
Crank: Callies Magnum 4.375
Rods: Carrillo H Beam
Pistons: CP 4.554
Cam: Crane 258/262, .712/.712, 110
Blower: TBS 14-71 w/intercooler
Heads: Canfield 350
Rockers: TD Shaft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.