Excessive blowby and oil leaks >

Excessive blowby and oil leaks

Notices

Excessive blowby and oil leaks

Old 09-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Are they the right rings for those pistons? Or do they want metric rings?
They are the correct size rings for the piston. They came with a non file fit ring pack but I was not very happy with the fit so I bought these. I had never used this brand before either.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hone my standard bores. Clean up my standard pistons. Put a 50 buck set of rings in. No blowby ever. Something ain't right...
Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

High oil temps can melt gaskets and make them leak. Do you know your peak oil temp?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Registered

I run at Lake Tahoe and my peak oil temp never goes over 195. My water never goes over 120 the water is so cold. I thought the water temp gauge was broke the first few times as it didn't even read.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Too cold a block? If bores don't grow to the correct size, you can get ring and bore wear issues. But I don't think it can happen in 10 hours run time. I think there is a ring and piston not liking each other issue...
Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the Hardin remote bulkhead and I thought that the filter gasket was leaking, and it was until I cranked the filter on extra tight, but the bigger problem was the threads leaking on the fittings and dripping onto the filter lip. I tried everything on the threads including soft sealers, hard sealers, over tightening, under tightening, new fittings, etc. I emailed Hardin with no response. I would've never been able to pin point the source with out an oil dye and black light.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Some repeat here but like icdedppl mentioned ditch the front and rear gaskets. Not sure what gen you have though. I do wonder iff your length Of hoses with a potential breather that may be a little restrictive. I like using the Hardin style breathers. With your cold water temps I see an oil stat in order. I recall your build and I know you were extremely thorough but things do happen. Does it blow your dipstick out. Also do you have a flame arrestor you could try and use some temp hose ty in. Sounds like you have crankcase pressure for sure but if it was just the oil I rember on my 350 truck engine I accidently used an oil plug with the hole in it back on top rear of block behind intake. PITA. Had my pipe plugs mixed up and didn't catch it. Was the same size as the ones behind the timing chan and gear.

For your our sake I hope you don't have to tear it down with such low hours but....

Also you ever experiment with different induction. Just curious...

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-17-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

Yes I did get a cooler with a t stat from the recommendations on this site. I would like to stay NA as I don't have room in the bilge for pulleys. Somone had a 177 on it before and had to drill a whole in the back seat for the pulley and it is little. I have a mark IV block and dipstick is dry and like I stated I had tried a few different evac sysytems from basic K&N breathers to what i have now. Will do a leak down test and see what cylinder or cylinders are having issues. When I had it out the last time I checked all the plugs and cam plug for leaks on the back of the block.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear you are out and using her!

I too have to run thermostats with the cold temps...

how much HP are you creating?

Windage tray?

Stroke?

its my opinion that you shouldn't vent the gasses to the catch can and then have the fumes accumulate in the bilge.....I really don't think that is USCG approved. Can you then vent the clean air back to the carb or the exhaust?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rings now have a very specific hone finish they need to seal, sometimes guys just hone one way with xxxx grit and call it a day, but that does not cut it nowdays, you have a ring seal issue and need to start with re-ringing and hone to whatever the ring manu. calls for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.