Engine alignment issue >

Engine alignment issue

Notices

Engine alignment issue

Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine alignment issue

Hey all! I am relatively new to boating, unfortunately I got into a project right away. I am having issues aligning my engine. The motor is a 1990 454 mag/bravo 1. Earlier this season I took out the engine coupler. While the engine was out I replaced the transom assembly with a brand new one. The new transom plate has a rubber bushing that the engine sits on, where the old one did not. My question is what washers should I be using between the transom plate and engine?

The old plate had no rubber bushing and used a woven washer and a double wound lock washer. Seems to me that the new rubber bushing would replace the woven washer. When I look at the parts fiche for the newest style transom plate, it seems as though there is still the woven washer and a stainless steel washer rather than the lock washer.

The issue im having now is when I torque the rear mounting bolts the coupler is way too low and the alignment bar will not even go into the coupler.

any help would be appreciated. Cheers,
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Need to replace the bushings in the bellhousing with the newer style, or remove the piece that snaps onto the inner transom plate and use your old washer and spring.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Need to replace the bushings in the bellhousing with the newer style, or remove the piece that snaps onto the inner transom plate and use your old washer and spring.
is that rubber bushing on the inner transom plate easily removed? I could lift the back of the engine slightly. Everything on the engine is already tied back in so doing the bushings in the bell housing is a last resort
Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

when did they start putting a rubber bushing on top of the inner transom plate
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
when did they start putting a rubber bushing on top of the inner transom plate
I'm not sure if bushing is the right word. However after looking into things it appears to be an update from 2004. Merc changed the motor mounts in the bell housing to ridged mounts rather than the older smooth style. By doing so they got rid of the lock washer and went to a stainless washer and the rubber on the inner transom plate.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The typical setup
Attached Thumbnails Engine alignment issue-rear-transom-mounts.png  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by SpencerB
I'm not sure if bushing is the right word. However after looking into things it appears to be an update from 2004. Merc changed the motor mounts in the bell housing to ridged mounts rather than the older smooth style. By doing so they got rid of the lock washer and went to a stainless washer and the rubber on the inner transom plate.
correct but you still use the fiber washer, I went to the new style when I was building my engines, as JD stated if didnt change to the new bellhousing mounts you need to to use the coil spring instead of the flat washer.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you get tooooo carried away. Make sure the gimbal bearing is aligned first.

Are you using an alignment tool? You need to pivot the bearing to make sure its lined up also.

Maybe you did already,,,,, just dont want you chasing your tail for no reason.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

^^^ very good point
Also, best way to align a new motor, barely snug the rear motor mount bolts. Make sure boat is level, do this by placing a 4 foot level on the deck or swim platform.

Pick the front of the motor up by the thermostat housing just enough so there is space between motor mounts and lower nuts. Raise nuts so they just touch the bottom of the motor mount with fingers. Now set the motor down on front mounts. This is flat and level position. Now adjust up or down each motor mount nut the same amount of turns.

Slide alignment tool in, and smack the tool up/down/left/right with your hand a few times to make sure gimbal is in the center. Do this each time the tool is inserted after nuts are changed
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You replaced the transom assembly. Inner and outer I assume. You did not replace the flywheel cover, which many people on here called the bellhousing. If you're using the old style flywheel cover you need to use the double wound lock washer. That's where the changes is in the flywheel cover and the double-wide washer. Inner transom assembly stayed the same from the old style to the new style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.