upgrade xr for 750 ponies >

upgrade xr for 750 ponies

Notices

upgrade xr for 750 ponies

Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Keep your current low hour xrs and install Drive Guardians for 5K. Just saved you some money! In all seriousness we're installing one now, not sure how much they help.
Drive guardians seem like a no brainer once you step into the higher performance arena as if it can spare the drive from a single fatal spike it's paid for itself already. The other big problem seems to be flat water for a long period of time with maximum drag swinging a big prop. Other than good fluids and heavy cooling there's not much you can do about that.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Drive guardians seem like a no brainer once you step into the higher performance arena as if it can spare the drive from a single fatal spike it's paid for itself already. The other big problem seems to be flat water for a long period of time with maximum drag swinging a big prop. Other than good fluids and heavy cooling there's not much you can do about that.
that's primarily my boating on smaller wi lake. No big waves
Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Keep your current low hour xrs and install Drive Guardians for 5K. Just saved you some money! In all seriousness we're installing one now, not sure how much they help.
I was just going to tell him that. Bravos behind 750 HP with drive guardians is the way to go. It's not the horse or torque that hurts the drives. It's the way it's delivered to the drive. The Guardians will do just that. It's basically a slipper clutch. Awesome. And lasts for years and take them with you from boat to boat if you want. They can be set for different pressures/HP
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All theese. Years and never have heard of such devices. I'm going to look into this stuff. Crazy never one thread I've seen about drive guardians thank you
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
All theese. Years and never have heard of such devices. I'm going to look into this stuff. Crazy never one thread I've seen about drive guardians thank you
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/320139-mdc-drive-guardian-update-one-year-later.html
http://www.marinedesigncorp.com/our-products.html
Old 09-22-2017, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Drive Guardian is a great product and I intend to install them when I re do my drives.(525's with Whipples behind XR's). However, I don't look at them as the entire solution as they do nothing to address the metal fatgue brought on by too much torque. The gears are going to fail eventually regardless of whether you are launching the boat in rough water or not.

They are just too weak and nothing can really fix that..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I know, one of my motors is a Pfaff. they both make around 700 hp. If you are wot in Chopp and the drives get out of the water. A imco might solve some problems. But it will take HP of the motor away. The bravo takes the less HP to turn. I run lakes and once in a while San Diego bay. I baby my Xr's .. Get them serviced when they have a lot of metal on the screws. And that's how I roll. If you are underwater with the X dim. A sc lower will gain you some top end. If you are half above water Like me. the sport master is better because the skeg is longer ( by 2 inches) the extra Skeg could save you .. But it will slow you down ( even over OEM lowers) if you are deep X. Remember the 38 at LOTO that Almost killed everyone with the dash cam? That was about 1/2 out of the water with short skegs ( cut down sportmasters). But it had extension boxes to . making it more scarey. i know that one was driver error , but the drive set up did not help.. I'm running in the hundred MPH ranges
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob I blew a coupler earlier this year and bought 2 of Drive Guardians and only switched the one bad coupler , because of time, but the drive that has the Drive Guardian has significantly less metal on it. There are lots of articles that i have read on these things and the guys that are racing swear by them. The other nice part is they are made in Crystal Lake area so you can pic them up locally or if you have a problem with them ,not saying you will, but if you do they are relatively local for us for service. They also look awesome. I still haven't installed the other one if you want to look at it call me. Eric 815-985-5911
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bravo Conversion | Arneson Industries