volvo penta 4.3 vortec water in oil >

volvo penta 4.3 vortec water in oil

Notices

volvo penta 4.3 vortec water in oil

Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo penta 4.3 vortec water in oil

My 2000 Larson engine blew due to water in oil..4.3 chevy/mercruser/volvo all the same..I bought a good engine replaced all gaskets etc. Ran great.After hour run rechecking found water in oil on new engine.new head gaskets intake gaskets etc,,,any Ideas???only main part I reused was the intake manifold..(2bbl holly)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil cooler
Old 10-10-2017, 04:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no motor oil coolers on any stock OEM V 6 - 4.3 marine engines period. OMC - Volvo - Mercruiser . never had an motor oil cooler installed by the factories.

Just an FYI - For winterizations Do you know there is a drain plug for the intake manifold itself to drain the intake cooling water out ?? This a common missed drain plug pulled from the do its selfers. and do I mean a very common missed drain plug for winterizations. Check to make sure your intake manifold bottom side is NOT crack. The drain plug started for the intake manifold in late 1996 model year 1997 GM 4.3 marine engines. Also the V 6 likes to crack in the lifter valley of the block.

Last edited by BUP; 10-10-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

or exhaust manifold
Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM
BUP
Banned

have no idea why this is double posting

Last edited by BUP; 10-10-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:02 PM
BUP
Banned

and again triple post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will check the manifold (Have to pull it).only thing that makes sense.same issue caused my first engine to blow.and the only thing I reused was the manifold.may have it magnifluxed. only ran it aprox an hour.then got the milkshake..so it happened fast.thanks for the tip.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't have to mag it. You will see the rusted crack across the bottom of the water jacket across front of intake. BUP, you are using your phone. When you go to edit a post, you have to watch, cuz the previous post is right there waiting to re-post if you aren't careful.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 PM
BUP
Banned

.When the V 6 intake cracks its on the bottom of the intake itself. Sometimes there is no rust spot. As the engine heats up the crack will expand and drop water in the lifter valley. Sometimes the water leak from the intake can rust up the balance shaft. you will have to check the balance shaft rotating bearings plus the rotation of it.

If it was the exhaust manifold more times that not the engine will start missing bad while running as the spark plugs can get water on them. Also if you pull the spark plugs you will see water droplets on them- Also crank over the engine and water will come out the spark plug holes if the manifolds has a internal crack.

. Also you can pull off the exhaust risers off and look down the exhaust portion in the exhaust manifold - you will see water and or rust forming.. If it was a lot of water leaking from exhaust manifold(s) it can hydro lock the engine especially at engine shut down and restarting. IMO I do not think its your exhaust manifolds thats causing water in the motor oil unless your riser height is not tall enough ??? Water reversion can be common as well if exhaust rise height is too low. .

Are the exhaust manifolds new as well ? You mentioned the intake was the only thing you reused correct ? A Missed drained plug on the intake manifold for winterization is a very common issue on the V 6 marine engine since 1996. I see this every year on the V 6 marine engine. And again, sometimes its hard to see the crack on the bottom side of the intake manifold.

Last edited by BUP; 10-12-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the replacement motor from, boat or pass car? Where are you? Salt or fresh watrer? Far enough north for freeze cracks? Did the motor you took out have water in the oil? It is possible you just screwed up installing manifold gasket. Let's hope so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.