Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which intake manifold should i use? single plane or dual plane >

Which intake manifold should i use? single plane or dual plane

Notices

Which intake manifold should i use? single plane or dual plane

Old 11-11-2002, 02:57 AM
blue64drop

Default Which intake manifold should i use? single plane or dual plane

i have a 24' 1990 chaparall villain III that weighs ~ 3500 lbs.
it has a 330 hp 7.4L that has about 60 hrs on a rebuild.
i'm putting a procharger on it and plan to run 5 lbs of boost.
i've picked up gil offshore wet exhaust w/ corsa Q&Q's for it and would like to put an intake manifold on it also.
i have limited realestate between the top of the motor and the engine hatch.
i was thinking either an edelbrock performer (non RPM) or a TorkerII. even though i'll be running a holley 650 cfm carb, the manifold has to be set up for a q-jet carb. (since the procharger carb box has a q-jet to holley adapter built into it.)

any suggestions?

thanks.
Ned

Old 11-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Torker 2's on NA BBC's for the same reason (deck clearance). They are sluggish out of the hole and dont come alive until you are over 2500 RPM. I would not use that manifold with a centrifugal blower for that reason. I would think your stock intake would be fine, certainly better than the torker 2. Do you still have the stock heads?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Run the performer rpm, there has been many intake shoot outs in magazines. The performer rpm was always within a couple of points at the peak's but was alot stronger on the bottom and mid.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Dennis Moore

With the positive boost of a supercharger the intake manifold simply becomes a passageway between the carb and the intake ports. Single plane or dual plane, it doesn't really matter. In this case I would go with the manifold that will give you the most clearance.
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 11-11-2002, 10:20 AM
turbo2256

I agree with Dennis

Old 11-11-2002, 10:51 AM
Registered

I would also agree but only with a positive displacement Roots type blower, but bluedrop was talking about a procharger that doesnt make much boost at lower rpms. It may be a bear to get on plane with little bottom end and likely a large prop to take advantage of the procharger at WOT. Id still run a dual plane to get some bottom end before the procharger comes alive.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:46 AM
turbo2256

Actually I used a Performer RPM with ported Edelbrock Oval ports, a 750 Holley on an otherwise stock 330. Then changed to a Torqer II then to a RPM Air Gap Performer and noticed no differance petween the Air Gap and the std Performer RPM. The Torqer did get me op on plane quicker and with less bow rise. The only reason I could figure was that the runners in the Torqer looked to have a smaller cross section area. The plenums looked to be close to the same size. The bottom end in Formula31 s rigg might be due to hotter camming more than the manifolding. Also I have found in some set ups the single planes sometimes can use a smaller carb (than the more restrictive dual plane) keeping bottom end losses down.