525 running rough, back fire?

Notices

525 running rough, back fire?

Old 05-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,077 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Yup, that's tonight's project, and if I'll get ambitious might swap the coils. See what will take to do it.
Just do one thing at a time so we dont get confused...........
Old 05-17-2021, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Just do one thing at a time so we dont get confused...........
Not the sensor next to the balancer, swapped it from Port. Did a new code read. Nothing. No faults. Last possible issue, injectors are dirty, Actually running a bit better while keep messing with this. They all firing. It may be as simply run it a little harder then service the injectors.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a thought since I over looked this on my boat a couple of times. When you hook up your scanner/computer, did you tell it to put the ECM in base timing mode before setting the timing?
Old 05-19-2021, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
Just a thought since I over looked this on my boat a couple of times. When you hook up your scanner/computer, did you tell it to put the ECM in base timing mode before setting the timing?
I did not do any timing, or setting. The ECM monitors a bunch of possible issues, I hade no error codes, Even the fuel pressure and volume as monitored by the ECM was no errors.
IE, no way to check the injectors, but pulling them out. The ECM and the scan shows they are firing, (getting current) but no way to tell how well.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:38 AM
Registered

I did not do any timing, or setting. The ECM monitors a bunch of possible issues, I hade no error codes, Even the fuel pressure and volume as monitored by the ECM was no errors.
IE, no way to check the injectors, but pulling them out. The ECM and the scan shows they are firing, (getting current) but no way to tell how well.
Start with the easy stuff you can do before pulling parts and replacing them. Put the ECM in base timing mode, re-time it, see how it does, then go from there knowing your timing is correct. "Shotgun Troubleshooting" gets expensive.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:03 AM
Registered

OK, Update, and thanks for all the input. Did the poker run, Ran the motor low RPM;s for a while, and as time goes by, ran better and better. Increased the RPM's slowly, 2000 to 2300 then 2500, 3000 for a few short sprints, then to 4000 and a bit higher. No issues. Injectors pretty much cleaned them self out to the point that the boat ran great by the time we were headed back from lunch. I'm sure the injectors are not 100% but at the end of the day, no issues, no back fires, motor runs smooth. I will have the injectors serviced, but obviously they were the problem. But it's ok, I checked a whole bunch of other stuff, no issues, no codes, so we're back, motors run great. Wooo- hooo.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,077 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Run some Chevron Techron injector cleaner through both engines, best stuff on the market imo
Old 05-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Registered

Good to hear. I regularly do a FI cleaning on everything I own once a month using something similar to what's in the link, but I fill it with Seafoam. It doesn't take much for it to work, either.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
Good to hear. I regularly do a FI cleaning on everything I own once a month using something similar to what's in the link, but I fill it with Seafoam. It doesn't take much for it to work, either.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7448A-Inj.../dp/B00GZ0H9VC
I might try something like that. Hate to take out all the injectors. Done it before, but not up to it. I bought the Seafoam marine stuff.
THX
P
Old 05-24-2021, 12:37 PM
Registered

I might try something like that. Hate to take out all the injectors. Done it before, but not up to it. I bought the Seafoam marine stuff.
THX
P
That's how I found out my injectors were leaking. Seafoam is great stuff, but be careful with it.