Notices

How Cold?

Old 11-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Cold?

I am looking at a boat with 502 motors with B&M blowers. I told the owner that I had to hear the motors run and drive the boat before I would buy it. He wouldn't put the boat in the water because it was too cold, about 38 degrees. He was afraid the cold temp would hurt the motors. Is this too cold for the motors? He uses 15-50 oil.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I dont think so....ive been out in mine in low 40* weather before....depends on the lake temps though....it just may take a bit longer to fully warm up if the lake has turned over

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:49 PM
ursus

depends on the water temp not air and lake mich is about 49 right now simialr to temp in may actually, not much dif than water temp of 59 and we run in that 1/2 the seaason even tho air temp may be anywhere from50-100 (may, june, oct)

Old 11-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I also would not make a hard run (or any run for that matter) in that cold of water. That has to be really hard on the engine running ice water through it. If you need to hear it run put it on a hose.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It would be in Lake Michigan and I wouldn't expect a WOT type of run but before I will buy the boat I have to at least hear it start. The hose water is probably close to the lakes temp. I drove 4 hours to see the thing. If he wants to sell it, he should be willing to start it. Don't you think?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:53 PM
Registered

A sea-trial should always be a one of the three conditions of the sale, the other two being personal inspection (like if the boat was in Florida and you were in Michigan) and a survey. This gives you three outs if something doesn't look or feel right about the deal. If the owner would prefer not to let you sea-trial the boat until spring you can still continue with the deal by putting a mutually agreeable sum of money in escrow, which would be payable to the seller in the spring after the successful sea-trial is completed.
If you haven't already had the boat surveyed I'd encourage you to have it done, including an engine survey. It's well worth the money you'll spend on it, and many insurance companies will not insure without a current survey. All that being said, if someone came along and said they would buy my boat if I'd take it out on a sea-trial I'd go on the sea-trial, even in the cold water we have in Michigan now.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Crazyhorse

Thats good advise. I was trying to think of a way to hold the boat without actually paying for it before a sea-trial. He offered to come to my location for the first run in the spring but thats not good enough. The boats in Traverse City,Mi. How do I go about finding a survey firm there?
Old 11-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I don't totally agree with him not running the motor for a sale, I do understand what could possibly be his his point of veiw.

In cold water, or even on the hose, those motors will NEVER get any temps to them, water or oil. If they only run a minute on the hose, it should be ok, but any longer, he now has 2 motors that have condensation in them. A simple oil change will not get rid of the condensation, it will be built up in the lifter galley, and other places. So over winter, there is a very good chance of the cam and lifters pitting do to the moisture. Follow me? 1st hand experience! (= new lifters and repolish cam) Remember, these are blower motors. Most have trouble even in the summer getting any temps.

If a deal was made as everything else was to your likings and you were going to buy the boat if the motors started and ran fine, then he should start it and let you worry about the condenstation. BUT, if you just wanted to hear the motors with no agreed upon deal in the works, then no, I wouldn't start them either.
Possibly he didn't feel you were serious enough in it to warrant the chance of you not buying it. Not saying you were just prop kicking, but he does have an investment involved that he must protect until the green is flashed and not just kicked around.

Just a possible insight from a sellers point of view.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He must be somewhat serious to have driven 4 hours.
I drove 8 hours in one direction and 5 the opposite way to look at boats before I bought mine. Put a deposit on one in March in NH but that depended on a good survey AND sea trail once the lake thawed. Survey failed miserably so forget the sea trial. Bought the one in VA instead. Three years later it's still
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mopower
He must be somewhat serious to have driven 4 hours.
I agree, but there is a huge difference from making an 8 hr drive and paying out $xx,xxx, or $xxx,xxx.
I have made several up to12 hr round trips to look at boats for sale. Ended up finding mine only 1 hr away. Ain't that the way it always is? Hearing the motors run was not a requirement during the negotiations, but naturally it was for a sale.
I was only throwing out a 'possible' explanation. No more. I would have to think the seller didn't think a deal was close enough to justify launching the boat were the motors may have been winterized.

Just my .02
But then, Jan1 sales tax goes up, so it's not even worth that!

Quick Reply: How Cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.