Just need general info on a motor and boat set up I'm building >

Just need general info on a motor and boat set up I'm building

Notices

Just need general info on a motor and boat set up I'm building

Old 01-13-2022, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just need general info on a motor and boat set up I'm building

So I'm new to boating and this is my first boat project starting from a "cheap hull". I started with a decent shell of a 1988 chris craft 245 limited then searched high and low for a replacement 454 bbc and had no luck until one day I found a 454 big block with a TSR outrive and twin M&W turbos with everything to install so with out saying I obviously purchased it. But now can't seem to find info on the turbo kits or my chris craft 245 limited for that matter... it seems I chose the only boat set up that doesn't have much information accessible on the internet very easily...
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 499 Likes on 274 Posts

Welcome to OSO, specific information on the 245 Chris Craft will be limited and useful info on marine twin turbos, will be even more rare. Check out the Chris Craft owners forum here, some really excellent builds going on at the moment.Sounds like yours will be a cool rig. Full Force had a 245 limited, I think, glassdave had a Chris Craft, I think it was a 260 stinger. Do a search on them and Chris Craft and you should find some information. I can't help with what the actual model specific details.
What are your goals?
What type of water do you boat in?
How tight is your budget?
Get your post count up and lets see some pictures
Old 01-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Is it a water cooled turbo arrangement? The only M&W turbo set-ups I've seen are on diesel farm tractors... and the only reason why I recall the M&W is b/c I thought the actual turbo was a Garrett pieced in as a replacement.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:57 AM
Registered

Yes it is a water cooled turbo set up on log manifolds
Old 01-14-2022, 09:59 AM
Registered

The water I boat in is under the Bluewater bridge in sarnia Ontario nice calm still water and my goal is to do poker runs from Kingston to 1000 islands
Old 01-16-2022, 01:31 PM
Registered

The twin turbo 330 454

Will this fit the previous alpha 1 outdrive transom hole and bolt holes?

Is this outdrive good for bbc power?

Will this push this boat fast enough?

I need to find a y pipe to run the exhaust threw this and out the tru hulls with a valve
Old 01-16-2022, 09:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Do you mean TRS outdrive??? TRS drives require a transmission.
You should really get a bravo drive and transom assembly. Drill 2 more holes and it bolts up.
A 330 is not a good choice to put boost to. It has all cast internals.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 PM
Registered

Yes I did mean TRS outdrive..
Old 01-16-2022, 09:30 PM
Registered

I just got it all as a complete drop in kit from a other boat so I'm just using what came with it how it came out at the moment.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't run more than 4psi of boost on a 330hp 454. It has a cast crank, rods with small bolts, cast pistons. Prop it for 4800 rpm. Your timing at max advance should be no more than 34 degrees.
IF YOU "GOT EVERYTHING" then I don't see a prop, I don't see a transmission (although it may be bolted onto the motor still).

The big block with transmission will take up a whole lot more room than the smallblock with no transmission. Figure on the front of the motor being appx 8 inches farther forward than the smallblock you took out.

A bravo drive shifts in the drive (like the alpha) so the motor will only be maybe 1 to 2" farther forward than the smallblock if you run a Bravo.

Engine width (at the turbos) is pretty wide. Heat under the hatch will be a problem. Water cWalked turbos need a lot of water flowing thru them and if you lose water flow for any reason they can get hot enough to start a fire realy quick.

This MAY not be the best Com inaction to bring you into the joys of powerboating.

If your mechanical aptitude is "apt enough" and you have plenty of "emergency cash" set aside, then anything possible.
Best wishes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.