502 mag mpi no start >

502 mag mpi no start

Notices

502 mag mpi no start

Old 07-15-2023, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 mag mpi no start

I have a 1996 baja 272 with a bone stock 502 mag mpi. It has ran once all season, on Memorial Day. Before the season I did plugs and wires for a general tuneup since I just bought it last year, and ran good last year. Now the one time I had it on the water it was misfiring and would only get up to 1500 rpm’s. Idled it to the dock and checked the wires to see if maybe they weren’t on the right tips on the distributor. Went to start it and got no crank and the cranking battery was arcing on the negative terminal. Went and got some batteries and it would crank forever but did not want to start. Had to get towed in and have been trying to figure this out ever since.

we did find the kill switch to be bad so we bypassed it but still crank no start. Confirmed it has spark and smells like it has fuel and the pump primes when turning the key. Any other ideas? I’m trying to salvage my boating season and I am at a loss with this. Every mechanic is a month or more out and I’m paying for a slip with a non running boat, lol.

Any help is welcome!
Old 07-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

It ran ok until you changed spark plugs, now it misses out and won’t restart?
How did you check for spark?
Old 07-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by liberator221
It ran ok until you changed spark plugs, now it misses out and won’t restart?
How did you check for spark?
I didn’t run it on the hose before I did anything. Last time it had been started before that was when it was winterized. I checked for spark by grounding out a plug and also with a spark light. Could it be weak spark?
Old 07-15-2023, 09:09 PM
Registered

Double check firing order. Easy to cross up wires.
Pull cap and look for carbon tracks on rotor.
(just put a new cap and rotor on if you didn’t)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by liberator221
Double check firing order. Easy to cross up wires.
Pull cap and look for carbon tracks on rotor.
(just put a new cap and rotor on if you didn’t)
cap and rotor looked disgusting. I’m surprised it even ran last season at all. Replaced cap, rotor, and coil. Seems to to pop a lot now like it wants to start but still won’t start. At this point the only thing I can think of is the ignition module? That’s the only thing aside from the distributor that I haven’t replaced.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 322 Posts

ignition modules will die and do strange things but if you were trying to start it before I would pull and clean all the plugs and they may be so fouled with fuel that it does not want to fire.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
ignition modules will die and do strange things but if you were trying to start it before I would pull and clean all the plugs and they may be so fouled with fuel that it does not want to fire.
what do I need to do for this? Just pull them and let them dry? Or should I spray them down with anything specific
Old 07-17-2023, 04:29 AM
Registered

Popping out exhaust or intake?
Put throttle wide open and it should start if flooded.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Did you check the wires are in the correct position on the plugs too? You only mentioned the cap. Your pickup within the distributor may be corroded as well considering how bad you said the cap was.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 425 Likes on 257 Posts

Now that you have the cap and rotor changed, screw in a new set of spark plugs. They probably got fuel fouled when the cap was bad.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (07-24-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.