It seems like the site has slowed down.

Notices

It seems like the site has slowed down.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
What has happened in the last twenty years?
Where have you been all these years to keep the site active don't think Ive seen you post since Ive been a member....I like it when the OG's come on to bring some content to a post but your comment ?

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-17-2023 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (09-18-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a little history if you guys care to read...

A lot has changed since OSO originated back in 1999---that's when I actually joined the forum, but it was just beginning to form and take shape along with the internet back then---and OSO was not even an official website yet back then.

If I remember correctly I was somewhere around within the first 200 original members or so. I had the opportunity to become a Charter Member, but missed the due time during that period when it was offered to certain members that were qualified by a certain membership date, etc.

People/members you may have seen that used to post comments, etc., today you don't see those people posting much anymore or have left the OSO website altogether for their own reasons or some may only observe from time to time. Anyway, life is too short and precious and since that time I have known members who have passed away since then as well.

As time has gone on I haven't visited the OSO website as often. I don't post anything near what I used to anymore either, but I have always liked and enjoyed Offshore hi-perf boating motorsports since I was a teenager in high school.
Our next door neighbor bought a new 1975/76 30' Scarab that was the only known offshore boat in the area that we knew of back then... and I had read and learned about Betty Cook of the KAAMA offshore boat racing team in the 1976 article of Motorboat & Sailing magazine and their 482cid/680hp velocity stacked mechanical FI engines as I grew up in a small town along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

A lot of controversy and Internet etiquette, etc was a new and different twist for everyone as internet forums were popping up everywhere---lots of awareness started since those beginnings back then when OSO began. I have met some good people and friendships on OSO as well.

I can also remember when members were interested in horsepower upgrades for the earlier MerCruiser 454cid 330hp, 365hp, 370hp, 400hp, etc, etc engine packages were some very big and popular topics back then---today you hardly hear of many of those subjects anymore----from carbs to EFI, Cnc ported heads, MLS/Cometic head gaskets, improved machining processes, etc, as engine technology continues to rapidly escalate.

Last edited by KAAMA; 09-17-2023 at 09:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by KAAMA:
Griff (09-17-2023), jayboat (09-18-2023), resurrected (09-18-2023), TomZ (09-18-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Here's a little history if you guys care to read...

A lot has changed since OSO originated back in 1999---that's when I actually joined the forum, but it was just beginning to form and take shape along with the internet back then---and OSO was not even an official website yet back then.

If I remember correctly I was somewhere around within the first 200 original members or so. I had the opportunity to become a Charter Member, but missed the due time during that period when it was offered to certain members that were qualified by a certain membership date, etc.

People/members you may have seen that used to post comments, etc., today you don't see those people posting much anymore or have left the OSO website altogether for their own reasons or some may only observe from time to time. Anyway, life is too short and precious and since that time I have known members who have passed away since then as well.

As time has gone on I haven't visited the OSO website as often. I don't post anything near what I used to anymore either, but I have always liked and enjoyed Offshore hi-perf boating motorsports since I was a teenager in high school.
Our next door neighbor bought a new 1975/76 30' Scarab that was the only known offshore boat in the area that we knew of back then... and I had read and learned about Betty Cook of the KAAMA offshore boat racing team in the 1976 article of Motorboat & Sailing magazine and their 482cid/680hp velocity stacked mechanical FI engines as I grew up in a small town along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

A lot of controversy and Internet etiquette, etc was a new and different twist for everyone as internet forums were popping up everywhere---lots of awareness started since those beginnings back then when OSO began. I have met some good people and friendships on OSO as well.

I can also remember when members were interested in horsepower upgrades for the earlier MerCruiser 454cid 330hp, 365hp, 370hp, 400hp, etc, etc engine packages were some very big and popular topics back then---today you hardly hear of many of those subjects anymore----from carbs to EFI, Cnc ported heads, MLS/Cometic head gaskets, improved machining processes, etc, as engine technology continues to rapidly escalate.
Its funny because just after this post went up, someone inquiring about a 454 365hp engine upgrade.. As well as myself Im new to an 88 454 mags in a formula 292, and I'll be posting some more questions on upgrades. Let's hope there will be lots of interest, in the older boats with stock engines..
The following 2 users liked this post by tpivega:
KAAMA (09-18-2023), Padraig (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 4,458 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Talking

How come this site is so slow!?!? ... sais the guy that hasn`t been here in 20 years .
Old 09-18-2023, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 625 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Where have you been all these years to keep the site active don't think Ive seen you post since Ive been a member....I like it when the OG's come on to bring some content to a post but your comment ?
I make comments simply to create activity and maybe spur a conversation somedays, sad to see the site dying, so much great info and a buttload of laughs over the years . Not a FacePlanter .
Old 09-18-2023, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I make comments simply to create activity and maybe spur a conversation somedays, sad to see the site dying, so much great info and a buttload of laughs over the years . Not a FacePlanter .
It's interesting what gets a thread really fired up...not always obvious.

I'm very grateful for the OSO archive of data, and the current Brotherhood Community.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tartilla:
jayboat (09-24-2023), Plowtownmissile (09-23-2023), tommymonza (09-20-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 692 Posts

Love this place!!

I spend a lot of time here and try to check-in at least once a day. I read - a lot! The wealth of knowledge here especially if you know how to search, is invaluable. Some pretty darn cool people here, too. Happy to be a part of the OSO family.
The following 9 users liked this post by TomZ:
Cms51 (09-23-2023), Griff (09-21-2023), Oberg (09-24-2023), Padraig (09-19-2023), Plowtownmissile (09-23-2023), rak rua (09-18-2023), Ryan00TJ (09-19-2023), tommymonza (09-20-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Facespace ruined the forums in my opinion. I caught myself joining groups there and less time on forums. Ive since turned facebook off. I still pop in like currently, using the search function... to look for information. I was on a truck forum for a while that had a lot of members in the beginning, but over the years it fizzled out. So slow that it was like only us Mods and Admin posting. Sad to see it go when we pulled the plug on it. We had tons of info and comedy on the site.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While everything said in this discussion rings true- especially the dumbing down of America by FB- there's one other factor: I also used to post a lot more questions than I do now. The reason for me is that even though the search engine on this site is not very accurate I usually do a search for my question before I post. If I dig deep enough I get my answer or at least close enough to help me solve the problem. Even though there's always been a lot of people who reply on this board who don't read the previous posts well enough to understand the topic, there's always good information offered by people like Smitty who know what they're talking about so I usually don't have to post. OSO is kind of a victim of its own success I guess.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I love this site, tons of great info and im on it daily. Just in the finishing stages of my triple bravo xr to full staggered #6 conversion and ive had alot of luck with buying new parts and selling takeoffs, wealth of knowledge along the way from alot of different members. Im 31 and did the whole project with a great friend (happens to be a glass expert). I dont know if the site is slowed down per say or if there is so much knowledge already on it that people dont hafto ask as stated in a previous post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.