Adding Whipple's >

Adding Whipple's

Notices

Adding Whipple's

Old 10-24-2023, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adding Whipple's

I am in the process of adding 3.8L Whipple's and have a question on cooling. I plan to add external pick ups plumbed into my water pump to feed the motors and plan to use the drive (IMCO SCX with SC lower) to feed the intercooler. My question is, will the IMCO supply enough water to the intercooler on its own or do I need to have a pump?
Old 10-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

The IMCO lower should supply plenty of water at speed to keep the intercooler pressurized. You may even have to put a pressure regulator on it depending on your water pressure.
The following 3 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
articfriends (10-25-2023), Griff (10-24-2023), IGetWet (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Im running SC lowers feeding two stage pumps -20 for transom to the strainer -20 to the pump then -12 to the intercooler and -16 to the engine thats all that is needed no transom pickups on mine.... Ive never done it without a pump
Old 10-24-2023, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

The SC lower will supply plenty of water. Pressure feeding, not fed through a pump is how Dustin Whipple suggest I plumbed my other boat when I put a 525 with whipple in.

I would suggest a sea or sand strainer with a pressure relief off of it so you’re not shoving too much through the intercooler
Old 10-24-2023, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet
The SC lower will supply plenty of water. Pressure feeding, not fed through a pump is how Dustin Whipple suggest I plumbed my other boat when I put a 525 with whipple in.

I would suggest a sea or sand strainer with a pressure relief off of it so you’re not shoving too much through the intercooler
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I know Whipple is looking for specific pressures on the block, is that the case with the intercooler as well?
Old 10-24-2023, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are multiple ways to accomplish this without drilling extra holes in your boat......intercooler needs flow to cool the charge not so much pressure....where are you dumping the water ?
Old 10-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
There are multiple ways to accomplish this without drilling extra holes in your boat......intercooler needs flow to cool the charge not so much pressure....where are you dumping the water ?

What others ways are you thinking other than 2 stage pumps? Intercoolers will dump out the side. Already holes there for them.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I had mine running through a two stage pump in my Baja that was fed from the scx lower. Wasn’t a stock 525 anymore but the motor didn’t like cold water constantly flowing through that very efficient intercooler. I ended up replacing two stage pump with single stage, rigging an in-line check valve from Teague, reduced the spring pressure so that it essentially was a check valve, so as soon as more water was being forced into the sea strainer than the pump could take and pressure built in the strainer it would then start feeding the intercooler. Depending on what prop I ran this would be 2500-3500rpm. Still running strong like that to this day.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet
I had mine running through a two stage pump in my Baja that was fed from the scx lower. Wasn’t a stock 525 anymore but the motor didn’t like cold water constantly flowing through that very efficient intercooler. I ended up replacing two stage pump with single stage, rigging an in-line check valve from Teague, reduced the spring pressure so that it essentially was a check valve, so as soon as more water was being forced into the sea strainer than the pump could take and pressure built in the strainer it would then start feeding the intercooler. Depending on what prop I ran this would be 2500-3500rpm. Still running strong like that to this day.
yes, I was concerned with the colder temps at idle running thru the intercooler and keeping the motor too cold. Sounds like your "check valve" worked in your application. Thanks
Old 10-25-2023, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think pump vs no pump would depend on air and water temps you do most of your boating in, here in the Midwest it gets hot from June through September with temps in the upper 90's......jmo
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (10-25-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.