Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone with labbed REV 4 results? >

Anyone with labbed REV 4 results?

Notices

Anyone with labbed REV 4 results?

Old 12-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, you are correct Too Old. I cant wait to buy and or send my next prop to Houston. Upgrading the engine this winter and will wait to see where I am at with the new HP.

Way to go Darrin!

Ron
Old 12-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allan4,

Your top end gain (or should I say lack of) supprises me.

How did the wheel pull out of the hole and thru midrange after the work? Reason I ask is that I've spun a 23P 3 blade Laser and it absoulutly out pulls the Rev 4 from out of the hole all the way thru the midrange. Even taking into consideration the 23P Laser is underpropped on my set up I'd thought that the Rev 4 23P would still hold it's own against it at least. I can't be lacking the HP or torque as I'm running a slightly modified 454 Mag 385HP. Top RPM with it is right at 5000 with a normal load onboard spinning the Rev 4.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Intolerant1

Houston, I have a 19 pitch Rev4 that may need to be tweaked if the engine mods come thru. Can the Rev4 be repitched and by how much?

Old 12-03-2002, 10:10 PM
Allan4

Darin, Precicsion Props in Indy.

Zp'd, I noticed a little gain thru out. I've got a nice tourqy (I know, not a word) motor at 575 ft/lbs. So, the midrange is sweet already, hard to tell if it gained much, but it definitely picked up some, but not nearly as much as I was looking for. I thought I would gain an honest 2-3 mph and an honet 2-300 revs. I am running a 520 horse 509 in a 24 Outlaw. Part of the problem may be the power it takes to move this boat, plus the low X. If others are getting nice gains, I say go for it. Not much down side besides I lost a little bit of handling. Again, I am dealing with a tough package here. Darin certainly knows more about this than I, and if the consensus is that it will help, then might be a good idea. Just passing on my experience.

Other than that, I absolutely love this prop. Not only is it the best handling prop I found, but also, the best mid range and the FASTEST!! Now, if that don't blow your hair back, what will

Old 12-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Registered

FAST TRUCKS,FAST FOOD,AND FAST WOMEN EQUAL A HEART ATTACK/BE CAREFUL/ JUST KIDDING AROUND/DARIN NOW FAST BOATS JUST GET THE BLOOD PUMPING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 PM
Registered

HEY,I just found a t.v. in this house ,I"ll see you all mun yawn na.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

When i first got my 2002 288 with the 496HO the dealer said the factory was looking into possibly switching from the Bravo-I 24P to the Rev-4 and if results were positive they would switch out. Well eventually they said never mind because the Rev-4 would blow out on hole shots and tight turns with little noticeable top end gain. This is all I know about the Rev-4. What exactly are the differences compared to a like pitched Bravo1?...
Old 12-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Rivercrazy

I have a 23P Rev-4 on my single stepped 25 Shockwave Tremor pushed by a 496HO. The boat weights approximately 4300 dry. So far that prop seem ideal. No blow out, strong holeshot, and good top end.

So far I really like that prop.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Registered

Default my story

I had a labbed by Merc Bravo 1 24 pitch and then bought a stock 23 pitch Rev 4. The rev was 2.5 mph faster on a back to back test with GPS
Old 12-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by Reckless288
What exactly are the differences compared to a like pitched Bravo1?...
I'll look to Darin at HouProp to supplement (or disagree with) my comments, but here goes:

1. MAIN DIFFERENCE: The Rev 4 has a smaller diameter than the Bravo 1 (14 5/8" vs 15 1/4" typical) so it tends to work better on lower x-dimensions and non-stepped v-bottoms than the B1.

2. The Rev 4 has a straighter trailing edge (like a cleaver) which should mean more stern lift (not good for conventional v-hulls), but I think this is more than offset by a higher rake than the Bravo 1. I believe the Rev 4 creates more bow lift. (I could be wrong on this one, Darin.)

3. I don't know about blade thickness or cupping. But the Rev 4 appears to have a slight curl in the blade tips. I don't know what this accomplishes (help again, Darin).

4. It appears that the Bravo 1 may be made under better quality control as I think Darin has experienced more Rev 4's out of balance than Bravo's. This is an easy fix, though.

Overall, the Rev 4 was designed to serve as a good 4-blade alternative on smaller, non-stepped v-bottoms and by all accounts has been a tremendous success. The B1's really work best with high X-dim, steps and cats due to the large diameter. You also have pitch limitations with the Rev 4 (17P - 23P) versus the B1 (22P - 36P).

Quick Reply: Anyone with labbed REV 4 results?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.