Dash Panel Material

Notices

Dash Panel Material

Old 02-13-2024, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts
Default Dash Panel Material

Guys,

I want to add an oil temp gage to the dash in our PQ280. The gage is readily available, and I'm confident I can integrate it into the oil tract (questions will follow at the appropriate time). The problem is that there is no room on the current dash to just ADD it. If I were to fab a new dash, there seems to be plenty of room to reposition/rearrange existing gages to make room for the additional gage. I am also confident I will be able to do this fab once material is in hand. So.....

What are some recommendations for the material of choice? Existing dash is white, and I'd like to keep it looking stock. For reference:

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

I had the same problem with my dash so I added the angled bezels to add more.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I had the same problem with my dash so I added the angled bezels to add more.

Mirage,

Appreciate the input, and I thought about this. Whoever installed the ProCharger installed the boost and fuel pressure gages off-panel, below the wheel, and it looks fine, even if it's well below the typical "glance at the gages" line of sight.

I'd like to avoid cutting any new holes. Additionally, both being metrics related to engine oil, I'd like to have the new oil temp gage right next to, or just above/below the oil pressure gage, so they are visible in the same glance.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Starboard is very easy to work with. You can buy it many places including Amazon.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

No room below the depth finder? I'd put the oil temp gauge where the depth finder is and move the finder down below the oil temp gauge.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I did these on my Baja :

The following 4 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
1983ScarabIII (03-18-2024), hogie roll (02-13-2024), resurrected (02-14-2024), Sydwayz (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
No room below the depth finder? I'd put the oil temp gauge where the depth finder is and move the finder down below the oil temp gauge.
Knot,

Not really. It might be a possibility, but the gages would definitely be crowded together, and I'd likely have to carve out the support lip under the dash panel.

Plus, I really want the temp and pressure to be adjacent. I'm actually really surprised Livorsi doesn't offer a combination gage. I'd have definitely gone that route if they did.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I did these on my Baja :

Dan,

Like I said, I really don't want to cut any new holes in the hull.

I'm also trying to keep the dash looking original, purple bezels and all. Don't think it doesn't bug me that I can't find/fit a bezel under the trim tab indicator. It's the only gage on my dash without one. I already have the matching gage sourced from CBM.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

I vote 1/16 or 1/8" aluminum....can machine the holes wherever you want them and once done, powdercoat white. Lightweight, strong, easy to work with. Just my thought. Wish I had a panel like yours...mine was the same as 87MI's in my heat except mine is older so looked terrible hahaha. turned out pretty good in the end but I had to fill in all the holes and start over which was tons of time, fiberglass, and gel coat which sucked a$$!! Be thankful you have the panel hahahaha

In the end I like it just was a pain.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I vote 1/16 or 1/8" aluminum....can machine the holes wherever you want them and once done, powdercoat white. Lightweight, strong, easy to work with. Just my thought. Wish I had a panel like yours...mine was the same as 87MI's in my heat except mine is older so looked terrible hahaha. turned out pretty good in the end but I had to fill in all the holes and start over which was tons of time, fiberglass, and gel coat which sucked a$$!! Be thankful you have the panel hahahaha

In the end I like it just was a pain.

BBTSTWY,

Yours turned out pretty good. I can definitely see where it would be a PITA.

My only concern with aluminum is heat in the sun. I made a replacement panel where the ignition switch and radio head unit mounted in the dash of our Rinker, had it black anodized and laser engraved, and it turned out really nice. the only problem is that it got so hot in the sun it would kick the ignition switch breaker. I made a new one out of black G-10 FG. the laser engraving didn't turn out as well (still visible, though), but it didn't get hot in the sun at all. I know you said to powder coat it white, but I'd still be concerned. Beig black was obvioulsy a major contributor to it getting hot in the sun, aluminum does a pretty fine job of absorbing heat, as well. I only want to have to go through the wiring gauntlet once. The idea is on the table, though.

I'm finding ABS and HDPE "engraving stock" on the interwebs. This might be the ticket, as there is a dark stripe around the perimeter of the current panel and would also allow for a PQ logo to be added. While I can't find any white/purple/white laminated, white/black/white would definitely work, is readily available, and may well be the color that's there now. Gonna climb up there momentarily and confirm. I have no concerns with the machining of either material. It's the durability and effects of the sun that give me any concern. Anybody have any experience with either of these materials?

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.